Cryptic fish for a nano

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone!

I'm in the process of setting up my first saltwater tank (13.5 gallon Fluval Evo following the brs/wwc hybrid system for a softy/lps tank) that I had originally set up with the intention of getting a small scorpionfish to be the sole piscine resident of the tank. The only other mobile inhabitants would be a single dwarf blue hermit crab and possibly a scarlet hermit crab at some point.

I've done a ton of research and that led me to smaller scorpionfish (Sebastapistes cyanostigma, strongia, Taenianotus triacanthus etc). The simplicity of feeding 3 times a week (important because I travel and like animals that are easy for others to look after in my absence), the fairly high output of nitrate they would create to supplement softy growth and their cryptic perching behaviour- they seemed perfect! Until I tried finding them in Canada... I found a leaf scorpionfish and might pick him up tomorow to see if I can convert him to frozen while in QT (really don't want have to keep live on hand).

But before I do I figured I'd ask if any of you guys have any suggestions for a nano fish thats fairly easy to find and would do well in such a tank. The only thing I keep coming up with is Plectranthias inermis but I can't find much on their feeding frequency. I just can't help but feel that I'm overlooking something. Obvious or obscure, something I've simply missed in my research.

Here is a photo of the tank if it helps, I would love to hear your thoughts and recommendations!
IMG_8418.jpg

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How often do you travel? That's my first question as if it's a lot then it rules out quite a lot of species that do better with small daily feedings but if it's a week or so, every few months, then more species are available as feeding minimally for a week every now and then isn't a problem.
Your thought about P. inermis is exactly what I pictured when I began reading your post. They are like a mini predator as I'm sure you know so don't need daily feeding but do fine with a little and often approach. I've not kept one for a long time but mine only ever took frozen so it ruled out an auto feeder. It was very efficient at hunting it own food however.

Off the top of my head without seeing your reply to travelling, Priolepis nocturna might be possible, it could even complement the inermis. Another option is Gobiopsis quinquecincta. Ora breed the latter if they sell to Canada and the nocturna is a species that should be easier to find at the right time of year, than your other wanted list.

Not being a Canadian it's hard to guess what your supply to fish is like but I'm guessing it's similar to ours in that the best stuff goes to Asian and America first, them Germany and we are left with a much smaller choice or at greatly inflated prices.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A coral croucher (Caracanthus) is a very small scorpion fish. I truly love the pygymy geometric perchlet so will always recommend one. In your situation I’d consider decorative macroalge in the the tank to give copepods a place to breed and hide to help tide your fish over when you’re away.

I’d also consider a Rainford goby, especially a captive bred one. They graze on hair and other algae and film from the rocks and so can find food when you are away.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the input everyone!
How often do you travel? That's my first question as if it's a lot then it rules out quite a lot of species that do better with small daily feedings but if it's a week or so, every few months, then more species are available as feeding minimally for a week every now and then isn't a problem.
Your thought about P. inermis is exactly what I pictured when I began reading your post. They are like a mini predator as I'm sure you know so don't need daily feeding but do fine with a little and often approach. I've not kept one for a long time but mine only ever took frozen so it ruled out an auto feeder. It was very efficient at hunting it own food however.

Off the top of my head without seeing your reply to travelling, Priolepis nocturna might be possible, it could even complement the inermis. Another option is Gobiopsis quinquecincta. Ora breed the latter if they sell to Canada and the nocturna is a species that should be easier to find at the right time of year, than your other wanted list.

Not being a Canadian it's hard to guess what your supply to fish is like but I'm guessing it's similar to ours in that the best stuff goes to Asian and America first, them Germany and we are left with a much smaller choice or at greatly inflated prices.
Actually I'm pretty sure You guys still have larger selection of fish, at least freshwater... The catfish you guys can get your hands on are only in my dreams;Hilarious

There isn't really consistency in my travel but its typically 3 weeks or under, I'm not looking for a fish that can go without food for the entire duration of that trip, just one that doesn't need someone to feed the tank everyday or more (I know automatic feeders exist but I ran out of outlets on my apex junior and in general). My longest trip was two months but I don't think I'll surpass that anytime soon. I was thinking about the gobies but from what I've read the Nocturna might be to cryptic, I'm ok with not seeing my catfish for a few months but I was leaning toward the perchlet because they seem to a little less reclusive over time and they just look like they have some character. Not sure how I feel about having more than one fish in the system, especially if they would squabble over a hideout. This is my first saltwater tank and I'm a little paranoid about overdoing the bio load. I can't guarantee life won't get in the way of a water change one week and I don't want things get out of hand as a result.
Possum wrasse.
I really like them but I figured they're activity levels meant they needed daily feedings to keep up with their movement
A coral croucher (Caracanthus) is a very small scorpion fish. I truly love the pygymy geometric perchlet so will always recommend one. In your situation I’d consider decorative macroalge in the the tank to give copepods a place to breed and hide to help tide your fish over when you’re away.

I’d also consider a Rainford goby, especially a captive bred one. They graze on hair and other algae and film from the rocks and so can find food when you are away.
I've heard mixed things about coral crouchers, couldn't find enough info to feel comfortable with keeping them (and to be honest I didn't do my usual deepdive, I just don't like the way they look;Hilarious)

I really like the Rainford Goby and if was going to break my one fish plan it would be something (the point of this thread) and a rainfords goby to have as the grazing fish to help keep things tidy. My concerns with them would be the size of the tank, It seems to small to facilitate any kind of constant grazer in between the several weekly feedings. My second concern is that as the tank matures it would get to the point we're there could't be enough algae as the tank stabilizes, assuming there was enough in the beginning. They move so much and so quick I figured their metabolisms had to be on the high side. I really hope I'm wrong though, I think a rainfords could be a great dither for whatever more cryptic fish I end up going for! I'm am planning on a nice patch of dragons breath algae to function as you described and a refugium of sorts.

I must say at this point I'm leaning towards the perchlet.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t regret the perchlet - a wonderful fish.

I don’t think gobies have swim bladders. The Rainford is not a very fast swimming fish in my experience, more like hovering. If you plan on getting one you could always start with a smal CuC to decrease competition for algae

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You won’t regret the perchlet - a wonderful fish.

I don’t think gobies have swim bladders. The Rainford is not a very fast swimming fish in my experience, more like hovering. If you plan on getting one you could always start with a smal CuC to decrease competition for algae

I forgot the rainfords where also sifters, my bare bottom is probably not something they'd enjoy (even the captive bred ones). I have a lone dwarf blue leg and was thinking of picking up a scarlet hermit when I turn on the lights but that would be my entire crew. I would just pass on the scarlet if I could do a rainfords but in all honesty I'm not sure my scape would give it a hole lot of swimming room, especially once the corals grow in.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I didn’t think about that. Skip the Rainford. You could consider a clown goby if you don’t have sps and want a second fish.

Rybren

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Canada are you? All of the LFS here in Ottawa are good and will order in specific fish (if they can get them)

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I'll just stick with the one fish plan, I'm pretty much sold on the Plectranthias inermis provided everyone thinks that one could handle the Monday-Wednesday-Friday feeding schedule. If so then I'll start the search!

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where in Canada are you? All of the LFS here in Ottawa are good and will order in specific fish (if they can get them)

No-where Nova scotia;Hilarious Considering the amount of people we have provincially we actually have a decent amount of LFS's (4 that I know of, 3 that do saltwater). Hopefully one of them will be able to order one but if not I know a place in Toronto has them and can ship.

mort

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about your travel because I'd still feed daily if possible but you mentioned you could have someone come in every other day when you were away, which should be fine for most species. I was also focusing on cryptic.
I think you have possibly decided on the most interesting combination of slightly cryptic and "mini predator". I'd probably go for the same given your criteria.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I asked about your travel because I'd still feed daily if possible but you mentioned you could have someone come in every other day when you were away, which should be fine for most species. I was also focusing on cryptic.
I think you have possibly decided on the most interesting combination of slightly cryptic and "mini predator". I'd probably go for the same given your criteria.
Yeah I think its my best choice, If the tank was larger and I wasn't a complete noob I'd probably go for a golden dwarf moray but they're pretty expensive and prone to escaping for a first fish
I don't know if these guys can ship to Canada but they are an excellent company, it's where I got my yellow spot. An excellent interesting choice. I am not familiar with their eating habits.
https://fishybusinessaquatics.com/fish/hawkfish/geometric-pygmy-hawkfish/
Sadly they don't ship to Canada:(
What’s a yellow spot?
The yellow spotted scorpionfish (Sebastapistes cyanostigma) I referred to in my first post. they max out around 3 inches and check all the boxes other than being available.

OP
OP
ZipAdeeZoa

ZipAdeeZoa

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REMEMBERED THE FISH

I knew I missed something but couldn't remember what until I saw the name again while cruising through some of my reef books, the chalk basslet (Serranus tortugarum)! I think they have cute tiny grouper kind of look and everything I've read suggest they are hardy which is plus for my first fish. I've read a lot of mixed things on the webs, forum searches and even my books regarding size of the fish (most say 3 but some say4-5), tank (10-30 gallons) and feeding frequency (2 times a day or 4 times a week).

Do you guys think a chalk basslet would do well in the tank above or should I stick with perchlet? One thing that I like a little more about the chalk basslet is that it seem easier to get onto pellets if I wanted to go the auto feeder route where as that seems less likely with the perchlet. I still really like the perchlet though so if the bass won't work I'm not going to get super hung up on it.

Thanks in Advance!

lion king

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I REMEMBERED THE FISH

I knew I missed something but couldn't remember what until I saw the name again while cruising through some of my reef books, the chalk basslet (Serranus tortugarum)! I think they have cute tiny grouper kind of look and everything I've read suggest they are hardy which is plus for my first fish. I've read a lot of mixed things on the webs, forum searches and even my books regarding size of the fish (most say 3 but some say4-5), tank (10-30 gallons) and feeding frequency (2 times a day or 4 times a week).

Do you guys think a chalk basslet would do well in the tank above or should I stick with perchlet? One thing that I like a little more about the chalk basslet is that it seem easier to get onto pellets if I wanted to go the auto feeder route where as that seems less likely with the perchlet. I still really like the perchlet though so if the bass won't work I'm not going to get super hung up on it.

Thanks in Advance!

I vote forvthe perclet, but its about preference of personality. I had a chalk in a 14g and he never really grabbed me. I like more cryptic elusive fish, and I am sure the perchlet would hunt down ghost shrimp as well.

Pbh-reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To me the lovely thing about the perchlet is that in perching on the rocks it kind of “activates” the aquascape - you notice the nooks and ledges of the scape in cool ways. The basslet will more likely hover over the rocks and sandbed and in a cave. It’s a beautiful fish but I’d do the perchlet first and then consider the basslet as a second fish. Just my opinion and I am super biased in favor the perchlet.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 203 71.0%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 21 7.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 54 18.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 2.8%
Back