Cryptic zones vs Skimmers

92Miata

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order for a cryptic zone/sponges to keep up with a skimmer - they need to keep consuming nutrients - which means they need to keep growing. IE - its a weird dark refugium. Either volume needs to keep expanding, or you need to be harvesting.

Most of us don't have the space for an enormous ever expanding cryptic fuge - and 'harvesting' sponges is riskier than harvesting chaeto.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In order for a cryptic zone/sponges to keep up with a skimmer - they need to keep consuming nutrients - which means they need to keep growing. IE - its a weird dark refugium. Either volume needs to keep expanding, or you need to be harvesting.

Most of us don't have the space for an enormous ever expanding cryptic fuge - and 'harvesting' sponges is riskier than harvesting chaeto.

Havesting sponges is actually not hard at all just rip a chunk out and they will recover very fast heck u can even put a sponge with tank water in a blender let the water sit for a day or to and most of it will reform the sponge and jf you go with types that can be exlosed to air jts even less risky

So this very riskys is compleatly untrue and exposing the cryptic zone to light momentarily does not hurt anything at all the light void is mainly to keep algie etc out alittle light every now and again does not hurt anything at all

I originally got most of my info from
Steve Tyree also thats a great starting point

Lastly I belive a low light area where light meats dark and is not enoff to grow anything is called a benthic zone (probly spelled that wrong)

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Perhaps not really pertinent to your question but some great responses and insight.

Thank you for this and everyone interested in maintaining a natural healthy heavily feed tank like I do should take a look at this I have a 32 biocube with 6 clown sized fish a cleaner shrimp and to many snails and hermits to count I feed 4 times a day 1/2 cube of mysis and spiralina brine then a pinch of new life specktrum small fish formula and 1/32 tsp reef roids I do not rince the frozen food just thaw in tank water mix and throw it in the original zoas and palys have went from 1 to 3 heads to 30 plus in 8 months the photo gorg has dubled in size and the finger leather has had to be cut way back 2 times now as it was as big as my hand (iv got big hands) and started from less then a finger I now also have a Duncan(cracked skeleton in shipping a week ago still alive and hoping it makes it) 2 florda ricordias pink tip fireworks clove polys and working on some type of plate coral for the sand all under the stock biocube led lighting

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also one last cool thing I'll add is sponges make their own current not stinger granted but in an tank entirly void of any other form of water movment and a sponge living in it there will be water movment the holes are an in and out with little hair like things that moved similar to swimming to creat mater movment threw out the sponge which is why some types dye when exposed to air the air gets traped and the sponge dyes of starvation some however live in tidal areas and are exposed to sun and air for up to 12 hours a day the splashing keeps them wet enoff to live and then when they go back under water they can get rid of the air traped and start eating again

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hence how scientists know a golf ball spong will filter 10 gallons if water an hour thats hiw much current is moving threw them

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tankkeepers... this is a fascinating thread. I am soaking in all of this knowledge ... like a sponge.
Thank you I just kept see everyone say skimmer skimmer skimmer but iv never ever used a skimmer and knew while there was alot out there about cryptic and benthic filtration I figured I'd make a new post to kinda refresh the idea

My tanks have always been overstocked over feed with no issues at all coral is always healthy and grows fast i used to have a lps sps mixed 0 water change system ran for 8 years untill kid killed it he thought becouse I fed the freshwater tank but not the reef tank they needed food to(it produced its own food I dosed micro and macros)and proceded to feed them the chili powder I left on the tabke while taking a shower killed everything in 2 minutes flat very sad day it even had a dwarf sea horse colony and breeding banghis

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Current tank each of the larger colony started as 1 to 3 heads 8 months ago and the gorge has mkre then doubked in size I chose the biocube(wife said I coukd get whatever for Xmas hehe) becouse of the rear design the first chamber is blacked out so cryptic the second is fuge and the last is uv light return pump and heater I run carbon and 3 nano bags of cemipure blue and a blue bonded fikter pad in second chamber and thats it for the tank

16027234654093673543749308993373.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ps dwarf sea horses are sooooooo cute
Sea horse in general are super cute... just so much work. Maybe one day.
I'm enjoying this information so much. I was an educator at the Gwinnett Environmental and Heritage Center in Buford, Ga. for 5 years. We had an educational aquarium with fresh, brackish and salt tanks. My favorite was our horseshoe crab touch tank.
As a nice perk, my colleague and I were once treated to a behind the scenes professional tour of the Atlanta Aquarium. The vastness of the sea and the amazing chemistry therein is just mind boggling.

OP
OP
Tankkeepers

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it is and ya sea horses can be alot of work if the overall tank size was not so large I'm not sure I coukd of kept them they had a 55 fuge to themselves plus what the 55 cryptic produced plus the 55 equitment red mangraove tank produced I'm not counting the 125 main fishys got most of the pods from there

Double monti 61

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I have ear sponges in my 15 gallon tank they are photosynthetic I have cut them away from corals that they began to overgro w and I have to remove some more, does anyone In Dutchess country NY want some?
8834E7FC-36E0-467D-B5D6-DAC27765342E.jpeg

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also sponges trap just about everything they eat so to speak and lock it away using it for structural building blocks

What makes you say that?

Sponges as important sources of nitrate on an oligotrophic continental shelf

" In situ field measurements of dissolved inorganic nitrogen (DIN) release by sponges in southwestern Australia revealed nitrate release rates of 0.022 to 0.743 mmol g dry weight21 (dry wt) h21 and ammonium release rates of between 0.002 and 1.366 mmol g dry wt21 h21 "

" Taking into account the distribution of sponge habitat across the continental shelf to 100 m depth, this constitutes a contribution of 10% to 18% of the total recycled nitrogen flux required from the benthos to balance a regional nitrogen budget. "

Last edited:

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sponges are essential players in the carbon, nitrogen and phosphorus cycle(s) on reefs here's some links to research done with them.

Element cycling on tropical coral reefs.
This is Jasper de Geoij's ground breaking research on reef sponges. (The introduction is in Dutch but the content is in English.) One of the amazing discoveries is cryptic sponges remove the labile fraction of DOC 1000X faster than the bacterioplankton.

Sponge symbionts and the marine P cycle

Phosphorus sequestration in the form of polyphosphate by microbial symbionts in marine sponges

Differential recycling of coral and algal dissolved organic matter via the sponge loop.
Cryptic sponges treat DOC from algae differently than DOC from corals

Surviving in a Marine Desert The Sponge Loop Retains Resources Within Coral Reefs
Dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen are quickly processed by cryptic sponges and released back into the reef food web in hours as carbon and nitrogen rich detritus.

Natural Diet of Coral-Excavating Sponges Consists Mainly of Dissolved Organic Carbon (DOC)

The Role of Marine Sponges in Carbon and Nitrogen Cycles of COral Reefs and Nearshore Environments.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 147 88.6%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 9 5.4%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 7 4.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.8%
Back