Cryptic zone - do you believe in it ?

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends,

I have been thinking of writing this topic for a while now after my short 8-9 months of experience with it and tons of reading on it . Never managed to write it until now as i felt I do not have enough data points to support it . But what the heck !! Its R2R and we have friends to help you and point your shortcomings . So here's my stab at it from a novice perspective.

I came back to reefing after 7 years of exile due to reason both personal and professional . But on my return, I found the whole reefing scene has changed dramatically from what it used to be - most of it for the good of coarse. But one of the things that hit me hard was the unavailability or I should say difficulty in sourcing real live rocks. Of coarse TBS is still there supplying amazing rocks but I read a lot about these dry rocks used and like everyone jumped on the bandwagon to get dry rocks from reefcleaners and set up the tank with the dry rocks .

Being an acro addict for a long time, I knew its gonna be acro dominated for sure. But I have similar soft spot for Non photosynthetic gorgorians too especially with Diodogorgia species. As you know, its not common to see tanks with NPS gorgorians who need frequent feeding to go with acros ! But i was adamant to try and experiment and embarked upon the journey in my quest to make make it happen .

In short - I wanted an acro dominated reef tank with non photosynthetic gorgorians and some of my favorite fishes like deepwater Randall's anthias , copperband butterfly , sand burrowing wrasses like Halichoeres , Anampses and Macrophryngdons - all of these to thrive with dry rocks .

I started studying a lot and was intrigued with the idea of cryptic filteration - an area in your sump devoid of any light whatsoever which maintains and helps sponges to grow which aid in removal of dissolved organic compounds from water or so its believed. I read almost anything and everything i could find on cryptic zone especially from the master Steve Tyree who maintains acro dominated grow out stations only with cryptic filtration and no skimmer which amazed me.

Plus I came across a beautiful reef tank of Paolo from Italy which in my view of being a halide fanboy is the best i have seen . His approach to filtration also involved cryptic or rather semi cryptic zone and I thought I could take a note of 2 from his book :-

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/140-tank-of-the-month

(Sorry @revhtree if I violate any rule in R2R by linking a different forum but its the only document of Paolo's reef I could find )

After all I read , I decided my take on the subject :-

My tank is now roughly 13 months old and about 8-9 months back completely covered my sump area in total darkness to begin with with no light whatsoever . Removed all mechanical filter socks and the water from tank drains down directly in the first chamber filled with dry rocks.
Then water flows through the skimmer chamber where I have my beloved Bubble King DC 150( Love it to death ) and then returned to teh main tank. No GFO or carbon whatsoever !

Started feeding the tank with APBreed phyto twice a day for my gorgorians with heavy 3 times frozen food feeding a day . Never missed a single day of feeding in the last 8 months and now due to favorable office hours , I feed 4 times a day with frozen food for my fishes and 3 times phyto for gorgorians with 10 ml each time. The only other thing dosed is KZ Sponge Power of 5 drops a day .

In a matter of 8 months with no seeding done, the first chamber is filled with sponges and probably hundreds of bristle worms and other creatures . I have counted atleast 3 different kinds of sponges - yellow, turquoise grey and blue and have seen traces of red sponges starting to grow . A short video of a section where the yellow sponges are growing massively . The yellow sponge in the beginning of the video is more than 5-6 inches in size. I wish I could move the rocks during the video to show the other varieties but its really difficult to take a video in this place.

During this time I moved to ATI essentials too and stopped all water changes what so ever . I may have done 2 10% waterchange since June to reduce high metals like Aluminium but thats about it .
No waterchange doesn't mean I do not test :) I send water samples every 2-3 months to triton to check my water parameters and necessary actions if needed . My tank ran high on nitrates in the range of 20-25 but for the last couple of months as I have witnessed the explosion of sponges in my crysptic zone , nitrates have been falling down and is holding steady in the range of 10-12 ppm . Phosphates are in the range of .1 - 0.15 and never increases despite of me trying to push the limits . The last Triton test showed PO4 as 0.05 which has made me to increase my feeding .

In all my years of reefkeeping, I have never been successful as keeping Diodogorgia species for more than a couple of months. But (knock on wood) , all my 3 Diodogorgia species are alive after 8 months and thriving too and even I have seen small new growth .
Here is a pic of one of them at the worst hours . At night the PE is out of the world - so much so that you hardy can see the body .

gorgorian1.jpeg

gorgorian2.jpeg

And just to prove that I haven't killed my acros here's some shots of them :)

suharsonai.jpg

Hawkins_Echinata.jpg

BC Glowstick.JPG

lengsy.jpg

oregon tort.JPG

Sorry for the inhuman writing but Long story short - may be its the cryptic zone that has helped me to keep the tank in balance or may be not - who knows !!! But certainly , am thrilled to see the tank mature so fast with dry rocks and grow sponges everywhere and support both acros and Diodogorgia species . Am not saying the above method will work for anyone but it does for me .
No Water change for over 8-9 months and feeding as much as I want and able to keep both my acros and gorgs alive - that's like match made in heaven for me :)

I know my methods are controversial and many would argue and debate about it . Doesnt mean am gonna change it but just sharing my ways of doing reefing - Joy of this hobby is the thousand ways to skin a cat !

So do you believe in Cryptic filtration ? Do you run one ? Share your story .

Regards,
Abhishek

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
awesome I set up a semi cryptic ( rubble rock in an egg crate with no lights but medium to medium-fast flow) inspired by Steve Tyree as well. it's only a month in operation but I am looking forward to my progress. thanks for sharing

Awesome and very happy to hear ! In my limited experience , slow to very slow flow through the cryptic zone is preferable. Also in my case , I believe KZ sponge power and daily dosing helped a lot .

Regards,
Abhishek

NS Mike D

In the arena.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome and very happy to hear ! In my limited experience , slow to very slow flow through the cryptic zone is preferable. Also in my case , I believe KZ sponge power and daily dosing helped a lot .

Regards,
Abhishek

i agree, i expect the lower parts of the basket will be low flow. NO3 is 0.25 and PO4 was 0.04. I have started to wean the tank of filter socks i do broadcast feed dry zooplankton, live phytoplankton, frozen prawn eggs and pureed live clam every few days and assume it will pass through the sump for filer feeders

dough

Reefing since '95
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This approach is so different than the "chaeto" regium system we see all the time. I recently took down a AIO tank that had a very diverse variety of sponges growing in the back overflow sections. I never gave it much thought and threw the sponge covered rock in the new my new "chaeto" refugium. After reading up on cryptic zones I realize what was going on in the back of my AIO tank and wondering about converting over to cryptic zone.

*K&AreeFers*

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running my sump this way as well. I do use a skimmer but the first chamber is filled with live rock and i have tried to keep it as dark as possible and when i do open it up to look you can see the sponges on the rock have really grown. It is just keeping it truly dark is a bit of a challenge due to my stand. I did see some algae growth when i first started this but after letting things stabilize i am seeing less and less. Great to hear others are doing this as well and more info about this type of filtration would be great.

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plumbed a 100 gallon Rubbermaid into my system and filled it with rock that had a few sponges on it about a year ago. I unfortunatly have not seen any noticeable growth in that time, however my nitrates have read zero since I set the system up a few years ago. I've added another tank to the system with a couple of tangs and will also soon be adding a tank with an eel to provide more waste to the system. Thanks for the wire up and I'll be doing some reading on that KZ sponge power!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know if I have any opinion on what (if anything) a cryptic zone accomplishes with respect to other organisms in the tank, but I really like seeing the sponges and such that grow there.

In my tank, I think the sponges were spurred to grow both by large amounts of organic carbon dosing (producing bacteria as food, but maybe also direct uptake of acetate) and also by silicate dosing. :)

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just came home from a trip to Dahab and Ras Muhammad, at the Red Sea. After seeing beautiful Dendronephthya growing next to colonies of Acropora I've been doing some thinking and searching. I would really want non photosynthetic corals to survive and grow in a reef tank, together with the hermatypic corals.
I don't have a plan yet, just a lot of articles and ideas. But the cryptic zone and sponges seems to consume a lot of DOC, phytoplankton and Cyanobacteria plankton. So perhaps carbon dosing, phytoplankton and silica is a way of feeding the cryptic zone some extra.
One thing I want to know more about is the planktonic Cyanobacteria Synechococcus and if it's possible to feed with that.

Well, that was some of my thoughts. Need to do some more research:)

/ David

SmokeyGnar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any tips on getting sponges started in your sump? I have a few pineapples and other sponges hidden away between the rocks in my display but I haven’t seen them anywhere else

Sallstrom

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi friends,

I have been thinking of writing this topic for a while now after my short 8-9 months of experience with it and tons of reading on it . Never managed to write it until now as i felt I do not have enough data points to support it . But what the heck !! Its R2R and we have friends to help you and point your shortcomings . So here's my stab at it from a novice perspective.

I came back to reefing after 7 years of exile due to reason both personal and professional . But on my return, I found the whole reefing scene has changed dramatically from what it used to be - most of it for the good of coarse. But one of the things that hit me hard was the unavailability or I should say difficulty in sourcing real live rocks. Of coarse TBS is still there supplying amazing rocks but I read a lot about these dry rocks used and like everyone jumped on the bandwagon to get dry rocks from reefcleaners and set up the tank with the dry rocks .

Being an acro addict for a long time, I knew its gonna be acro dominated for sure. But I have similar soft spot for Non photosynthetic gorgorians too especially with Diodogorgia species. As you know, its not common to see tanks with NPS gorgorians who need frequent feeding to go with acros ! But i was adamant to try and experiment and embarked upon the journey in my quest to make make it happen .

In short - I wanted an acro dominated reef tank with non photosynthetic gorgorians and some of my favorite fishes like deepwater Randall's anthias , copperband butterfly , sand burrowing wrasses like Halichoeres , Anampses and Macrophryngdons - all of these to thrive with dry rocks .

I started studying a lot and was intrigued with the idea of cryptic filteration - an area in your sump devoid of any light whatsoever which maintains and helps sponges to grow which aid in removal of dissolved organic compounds from water or so its believed. I read almost anything and everything i could find on cryptic zone especially from the master Steve Tyree who maintains acro dominated grow out stations only with cryptic filtration and no skimmer which amazed me.

Plus I came across a beautiful reef tank of Paolo from Italy which in my view of being a halide fanboy is the best i have seen . His approach to filtration also involved cryptic or rather semi cryptic zone and I thought I could take a note of 2 from his book :-

http://reefkeeping.com/joomla/index.php/current-issue/article/140-tank-of-the-month

(Sorry @revhtree if I violate any rule in R2R by linking a different forum but its the only document of Paolo's reef I could find )

After all I read , I decided my take on the subject :-

My tank is now roughly 13 months old and about 8-9 months back completely covered my sump area in total darkness to begin with with no light whatsoever . Removed all mechanical filter socks and the water from tank drains down directly in the first chamber filled with dry rocks.
Then water flows through the skimmer chamber where I have my beloved Bubble King DC 150( Love it to death ) and then returned to teh main tank. No GFO or carbon whatsoever !

Started feeding the tank with APBreed phyto twice a day for my gorgorians with heavy 3 times frozen food feeding a day . Never missed a single day of feeding in the last 8 months and now due to favorable office hours , I feed 4 times a day with frozen food for my fishes and 3 times phyto for gorgorians with 10 ml each time. The only other thing dosed is KZ Sponge Power of 5 drops a day .

In a matter of 8 months with no seeding done, the first chamber is filled with sponges and probably hundreds of bristle worms and other creatures . I have counted atleast 3 different kinds of sponges - yellow, turquoise grey and blue and have seen traces of red sponges starting to grow . A short video of a section where the yellow sponges are growing massively . The yellow sponge in the beginning of the video is more than 5-6 inches in size. I wish I could move the rocks during the video to show the other varieties but its really difficult to take a video in this place.

During this time I moved to ATI essentials too and stopped all water changes what so ever . I may have done 2 10% waterchange since June to reduce high metals like Aluminium but thats about it .
No waterchange doesn't mean I do not test :) I send water samples every 2-3 months to triton to check my water parameters and necessary actions if needed . My tank ran high on nitrates in the range of 20-25 but for the last couple of months as I have witnessed the explosion of sponges in my crysptic zone , nitrates have been falling down and is holding steady in the range of 10-12 ppm . Phosphates are in the range of .1 - 0.15 and never increases despite of me trying to push the limits . The last Triton test showed PO4 as 0.05 which has made me to increase my feeding .

In all my years of reefkeeping, I have never been successful as keeping Diodogorgia species for more than a couple of months. But (knock on wood) , all my 3 Diodogorgia species are alive after 8 months and thriving too and even I have seen small new growth .
Here is a pic of one of them at the worst hours . At night the PE is out of the world - so much so that you hardy can see the body .

gorgorian1.jpeg

gorgorian2.jpeg

And just to prove that I haven't killed my acros here's some shots of them :)

suharsonai.jpg

Hawkins_Echinata.jpg

BC Glowstick.JPG

lengsy.jpg

oregon tort.JPG

Sorry for the inhuman writing but Long story short - may be its the cryptic zone that has helped me to keep the tank in balance or may be not - who knows !!! But certainly , am thrilled to see the tank mature so fast with dry rocks and grow sponges everywhere and support both acros and Diodogorgia species . Am not saying the above method will work for anyone but it does for me .
No Water change for over 8-9 months and feeding as much as I want and able to keep both my acros and gorgs alive - that's like match made in heaven for me :)

I know my methods are controversial and many would argue and debate about it . Doesnt mean am gonna change it but just sharing my ways of doing reefing - Joy of this hobby is the thousand ways to skin a cat !

So do you believe in Cryptic filtration ? Do you run one ? Share your story .

Regards,
Abhishek

Hi,

Any new results or ideas? :)

I'm in the searching mode now and found some interesting articles about food uptake in live rocks in the Red Sea, Gorgonias and Dendronephtya. The researcher Gitay Yahel has done some really good article if you do a search.

Waiting for some cyanobacteria plankton from Germany now. And hope to get my hands on some Dendronephya soon as well. Want to try out if more feeding of many types of phytosyntetic plankton will make a diffence in a reef tank.

/ David

BigDon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m really interested in this method and looking for some advice. I’m running a 480 litre tank that is a month old (same amount of time I’ve been in this hobby) and just finished cycling.im using a canister filter not a sump and currently (aside from regular cleaning and water changes) experimenting with vodka dosing to reduce nitrates and phosphates. I came across the term “cryptic zone” and a couple of google searches later I ended up here. So what I’m thinking is I replace the bio balls and ceramic rings in my canister filter for live rock as this is meant to stop the filter becoming the nitrate factory that it is so well known for. What I’m not sure about is this, should I smash up some rock into small pieces to fit into the trays in my filter that currently hosts balls and rings or do I just take out all the trays and fill it with lumps of rock with maybe just the coarse filter media at the top and bottom of the canister? Any advice would be really awesome thank you!

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some info on sponge filtration go to Steve Tyree's site.
Some things you should know;
Being cryptic they cannot be exposed to light nor can they be exposed to air at any point. I think you will have a flow issue as well as a food particle size that's needed to keep them alive. Too large a particle and they will be clogged up. Cryptic sponges also need a slow flow like a fuge.
http://reeffarmers.com/

Muttley000

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi I’m really interested in this method and looking for some advice. I’m running a 480 litre tank that is a month old (same amount of time I’ve been in this hobby) and just finished cycling.im using a canister filter not a sump and currently (aside from regular cleaning and water changes) experimenting with vodka dosing to reduce nitrates and phosphates. I came across the term “cryptic zone” and a couple of google searches later I ended up here. So what I’m thinking is I replace the bio balls and ceramic rings in my canister filter for live rock as this is meant to stop the filter becoming the nitrate factory that it is so well known for. What I’m not sure about is this, should I smash up some rock into small pieces to fit into the trays in my filter that currently hosts balls and rings or do I just take out all the trays and fill it with lumps of rock with maybe just the coarse filter media at the top and bottom of the canister? Any advice would be really awesome thank you!
Welcome to the forum! I agree, Steve Tyree is the man to find articles on this method.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love this @Abhishek ! In my 45 AIO I have a cryptic rubble zone in the right overflow chamber. There are sponges, worms, pods and ministars, plus whatever else is hiding out in there. I have no “measure” of its effectiveness, but it certainly adds biodiversity and does not hurt anything.

OP
OP
Abhishek

Abhishek

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For some info on sponge filtration go to Steve Tyree's site.
Some things you should know;
Being cryptic they cannot be exposed to light nor can they be exposed to air at any point. I think you will have a flow issue as well as a food particle size that's needed to keep them alive. Too large a particle and they will be clogged up. Cryptic sponges also need a slow flow like a fuge.
http://reeffarmers.com/

Thank you for the advice . Yes , everything you have said is true except a small part where all sponges will die with exposure to air immediately . Not entirely true as it depends on the type of sponges .
Also most cryptic animals do well in semi cryptic too with ambient light.
Steve is probably the most amazing person in bizonal filtration . I would suggest anyone to purchase his books on cryptic and semi cryptic to learn more .

Love this @Abhishek ! In my 45 AIO I have a cryptic rubble zone in the right overflow chamber. There are sponges, worms, pods and ministars, plus whatever else is hiding out in there. I have no “measure” of its effectiveness, but it certainly adds biodiversity and does not hurt anything.

You are welcome ! With time , you would slowly find the beauty of them .

Regards,
Abhishek

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Abhishek do you still have the cryptic zone up and running? I want to put one in myself. Thinking of getting a 30 gallon rubbermaid bin and adding to my system. Do you see dry rock being a problem in the cryptic zone? My system is 2 years old and I have sponges everywhere in my overflow, sump, etc.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back