crystal clear water?

warby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep your water crystal clear to the point where it looks like the fish are floating? would be interesting to see how you guys and girls do it across the pond. uv, ozone, granular activated carbon e.t.c.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following also. I have always wonderd if the water is that clear how for your corals eat?
Mine is really clear but wow.

OP
OP
W

warby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following also. I have always wonderd if the water is that clear how for your corals eat?
Mine is really clear but wow.
in my tank the corals are fed from fish waste no other coral food supplements. just a mix of frozen, flake, nori and pellets for the fish.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in my tank the corals are fed from fish waste no other coral food supplements. just a mix of frozen, flake, nori and pellets for the fish.
That's all you need really.

atoll

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Oxydators which keep my water gin clear. They use hydrogen peroxide which is broken down into O2 and H2O. In Albert Thiels book Nano reef aquariums he details how when he introduced his, his tank looked as if there was no water in it. BTW, I sent him his first Oxydator as at the time you could not buy them in the US. The Oxydator is a simple device, uses no electricity, are relatively cheap and is very cheap to run.
Here are the models available from
soechting_oxydatoren.jpg
the mini to the large W model.

saltwaterpicaso

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
used to run uv but got sick of cleaning the quartz tube and bulb replacement then used carbon got sick of replacing lol have used ozone for a few years and really like it I have it hooked to my apex but only run it for 3 hours during the tanks dark period I figure whatever die off happens at night the ozone will help pick it up in the skimmer I see no difference running it all the time over the few hours as I do now

jd371

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did notice that water in a white bucket had a yellow tint to it, and after adding a UV to my system the water was clear no tint.

Gil03

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run carbon from Polyp Lab and a sock of course and I don't use the mesh type sock either I use nylon cause it's much easier to clean but doesn't catch as fine a particle. It still polishes the water really well though. I don't concern myself with food in the water column for the corals to feed, they get fed when I feed them.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sponge is about 14" wide and covers about a quarter of my tank. It is very old and keeps growing. Sponges filter out microscope particles making the water crystal clear. That sponge filters more water a day than is in my 100 gallon tank. They only eat bacteria sized particles and a little larger so the food chain of my tank stays intact.
My water is crystal clear

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Filter socks, no bubbles, etc. :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Oxydators which keep my water gin clear. They use hydrogen peroxide which is broken down into O2 and H2O. In Albert Thiels book Nano reef aquariums he details how when he introduced his, his tank looked as if there was no water in it. BTW, I sent him his first Oxydator as at the time you could not buy them in the US. The Oxydator is a simple device, uses no electricity, are relatively cheap and is very cheap to run.
Here are the models available from
soechting_oxydatoren.jpg
the mini to the large W model.
That is neat!
I will be looking as those for sure.

Ubergroover

Engineer by day, Musician/golfer/reefer by night
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have Ozone, but only use it here and there..what works good, is coral snow...Made by the zeovit people, K&z

The Big Plugger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you keep your water crystal clear to the point where it looks like the fish are floating? would be interesting to see how you guys and girls do it across the pond. uv, ozone, granular activated carbon e.t.c.

Hi Doods, (new member), what do you mean by "Following"? I was Googling it and had no luck (probably missing something ultra obvious). In a 400 litre tank, downstairs there's 3 biozorbs and I rotate the longest one once each month, have lots of matala filter cubes (which was sold to me by a reef shop, but later found it's designed for ponds), and lots of macro algae, skimmer - seems to stay very clear but will look into those Oxydators cause it's not crystal clear like I've seen sometimes

borrowedlight

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just started running a gfo/carbon reactor and the rox carbon from BRS which I think has made the biggest difference. I also have been using the loose poly floss in the as a mechanical filter and changing it out once or twice a week. That stuff catches everything. But from these posts, now I'm wondering if clearer than clear is a thing haha.

@The Big Plugger by following they just mean they are also watching this topic so see what others say because they also want to know.

Maritimer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef, Big Plugger!

"Following" generally means the poster is interested in the topic, and is posting in the thread so that they get updates whenever someone responds. (They may not realize that there's a "Watch Thread" link up at the top-right, which should get the same result! :cool: )

~Bruce

R_C

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use quilt batting and carbon in a reactor. Works great for me!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 47 26.0%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 42 23.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 44 24.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back