OP
W

warby

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some interesting reading here. personally iv found the type of carbon you run makes a big difference. currently in using red sea reef spec carbon and so far it's one of the best of tried.
iv also got a algae bed with cheato, and a few types of caulerpa along with a skimmer and 2 x 200micron felt filter socks. was just just seeing if different products or methods where used compared to what we use in the UK.

Reef Ryder

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did a move a few months ago and my buddy from the LFS kept asking me how the heck I keep my water so clear. I was honored when he told me I have the best tank in the neighborhood.. I don't do much that's for sure.. I only have filter socks in the sump, that is the extent of my filtration system. The only thing I dose with is Nite Out II and occasionally Special blend. I make sure that I have good flow and I keep the outside of the glass clean always. I think my luck comes from when I polished the water back in November. The water literally could not be clearer and ever since then I just do my water changes, maybe once a month and that's it. My ammonia is 0 to .025 pp, Nitrite/nitrate is 0. My tank is always very clear.

Skindog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used chemipure elite and purigen on my little nuvo 16, water was crystal, like there was no water at all, but since setting up the 150 I haven't used either but I will, and changed from chemipure elite to chemipure blue as I was told the elite strips too much from the water whereas blue is not as harsh,

najer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use 2 Oxydators which keep my water gin clear. They use hydrogen peroxide which is broken down into O2 and H2O. In Albert Thiels book Nano reef aquariums he details how when he introduced his, his tank looked as if there was no water in it. BTW, I sent him his first Oxydator as at the time you could not buy them in the US. The Oxydator is a simple device, uses no electricity, are relatively cheap and is very cheap to run.
Here are the models available from
soechting_oxydatoren.jpg
the mini to the large W model.

I use 2 in my big tank and 1 in each of the others, I would never run a tank without them now. :)

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rox .8 is better than any carbon ive tried at removing yellow water. I wont try any other. It was a huge difference, it actually made my tanks water look like ro/di water in a bucket.

Ozone will also remove yellow water.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what is meant by crystal clear. No color can be achieved with carbon or ozone. Floating particles of food and fish poop i don't try to remove. The lighting can make a big difference in how clear the tank looks. When my leds are at there mid day setting it does not look as clear from the front but when looking through the end it does. I can hold a white piece of paper with writing on it and looking through six feet of water it is as white and legible as just holding in front of me.

HolisticBear

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
some interesting reading here. personally iv found the type of carbon you run makes a big difference. currently in using red sea reef spec carbon and so far it's one of the best of tried.

+1

When I replace my carbon w/ BRS Rox carbon or Red Sea Reef Spec carbon, the water gets amazing clearly. It happens every time, 24 hours later, I walk by and do a slight take at the tank. It's entirely possible that it's a bit too clean (at that moment), but it sure is pretty. AF's carbon looks no different than the cheap carbon you'd find at your local PetCo and doesn't really have nearly the same affect.

Bruce Burnett

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used chemi-clean a couple of times now for cyano. Not sure why but added benefits, it seems to help with water clarity a lot, small sponges grow better and asterina star population goes down. Maybe it has to do with less bacteria in the water or something. I was hesitant to use it the first time because of comments and I will never think twice about using it again.

AcanthurusRex

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Back