Crystal reef aquatics tanks? Anyone heard of?

OutColdCRNA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found a really good deal on a 6’ 180 gallon brand new tank/ stand/ sump. The seller says the tank was built by crystal reef aquatics. Never heard of this builder. It is an internal overflow tank and eurobraced. Any feedback on this particular builder would be appreciated.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder for that company was originally affiliated with the same guy who built tanks for oceans by design. Not sure about their later model tanks though. I left the scene in WA around 2017, shortly after crystal reef aquatics took over for oceans by design (I think they bought them out), and then proceeded to go out of business a few years later. The pet store still does dog/cat in Bellingham, unsure if the owner is the same. You might have luck contacting their store directly. My experience, oceans by design was great, crystal reef, not as much so. Hope that helps, goodluck!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The builder for that company was originally affiliated with the same guy who built tanks for oceans by design. Not sure about their later model tanks though. I left the scene in WA around 2017, shortly after crystal reef aquatics took over for oceans by design (I think they bought them out), and then proceeded to go out of business a few years later. The pet store still does dog/cat in Bellingham, unsure if the owner is the same. You might have luck contacting their store directly. My experience, oceans by design was great, crystal reef, not as much so. Hope that helps, goodluck!
The tank builder was a guy who owned Oceans By Design.
The store was open for several years and the owner had several partners none of who worked out.
Mike ( the tank builder) was a talented tank maker didn't pick partners well.
He bought Crystal Reef in Bellingham ( which was a all around pet store ). I believe he brought in another partner at this time.
I thought when he bought into the company the pet store closed and the business turned into strictly tank building.
He built tanks at this location for several years.
I have 2 tanks built by Mike. A 240 which is 10 years old, still doing great and my 66 gallon tank which I picked up 4-5 years ago, shortly before the doors were closed.

PNWReefGuy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The tank builder was a guy who owned Oceans By Design.
The store was open for several years and the owner had several partners none of who worked out.
Mike ( the tank builder) was a talented tank maker didn't pick partners well.
He bought Crystal Reef in Bellingham ( which was a all around pet store ). I believe he brought in another partner at this time.
I thought when he bought into the company the pet store closed and the business turned into strictly tank building.
He built tanks at this location for several years.
I have 2 tanks built by Mike. A 240 which is 10 years old, still doing great and my 66 gallon tank which I picked up 4-5 years ago, shortly before the doors were closed.

This ^

I wasn’t sure if the tanks were all built by oceans by design up until closing… Sounds like they were, and if so, should be solid!

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This ^

I wasn’t sure if the tanks were all built by oceans by design up until closing… Sounds like they were, and if so, should be solid!
It was a shame the business couldn't continue. It was nice having a custom glass tank builder in the PNW.
Very solid tanks.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 84 56.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.4%

Back