CT Frag Farmers Market - March 9, 2013

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run it so I might be biased but here is what I can tell you:
-I have 41 people signed up to sell corals and 10 more there just to show off their stuff (dry goods, clubs, etc...)
-Last year there were only 29. So whatever you have heard, it will be better than that.
-I have $1000's of dollars in raffle prizes and stuff is coming in every day!
-Admission is free!
It really has become the biggest swap in the Northeast. I'll let the people who have come in past year's share their opinions. If you come out from that far, stop and introduce yourself. I'll hook you up!
Jon

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Decided to make the 4 hour trip...looking for the following, PM with your name if youll be there selling them. Thanks.
ATL Shades of Fall
Strawberry Shortcake
ora pearlberry
ORA Bird of Paradise
forest fire digi
rasberrry/blueberry tip prostrata
Bubble gum milli
willi milli

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sweet, glad you are coming up! You will defintely leave happy that you did. Fill your car with NJ reefers and stop by and say hi while you are there!
Jon

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good point, anyone near 07928 and wants to hitch a ride pm me. Hope to get there before the doors open!

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should check the NJ boards as well. I know a bunch of guys from you area are coming up.

Dan5.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been looking forward to this all year. Last year was my first time attending and it was well work the 3 hr drive.

I'm hoping to find strawberry shortcake & red planet acro...or any other exotic acros

Dan

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know a few of the sellers are bringing "high end" SPS to the FFM. Not my cup of tea but I know that quite a few of the sellers will have them!

incloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wicked Psyched!

First things first, I want to say Thanks a lot to the Craigslist poster and all on this forum for the news on this event. I just joined this forum and have been in the hobby for about 9 months now. My tank, a 46 bowfront with sump and skimmer is coming along quite nice. Problem is, it is very bare and needs some color and life added. With the minimal selection and high local prices it has not been in my range to acquire many specimens. I have a pair of clowns, firefish, bicolor blenny and a yellow watchman. For coral I have assorted polyps, zoanthid, mushrooms, trumpet, xenia, anthelia, riccordea and GSP. All are very small and everything is green. Any suggestions for some nice colorful beginner corals to look for would be highly appreciated. I absolutely love this hobby and my tank and feel like a little kid on Christmas waiting for this weekend to come. My better half is even coming with me, she loves the tank too. I really like coral that flows and moves around but also would like to add some reds and blues along with yellow. I think I want a torch coral and hammer coral for sure if in my price range. Anyway, Thanks again and I'm extremely happy I found this and look forward to meeting some of you at this show. Can't wait, talk to you soon!

Bobby C.

Here's a link to a vid on Youtube showing my setup.

46 Bowfront Reef Update - YouTube

alliecat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS! i've never gone and i cant wait to go! i was googling where to find frags in ct, and this forum popped up so i joined =P

BfishLpond78

F.U.P.A.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SOOOO GLAD I FOUND THIS! i've never gone and i cant wait to go! i was googling where to find frags in ct, and this forum popped up so i joined =P

It's going to be an awesome time. Where in CT are you located. I can direct you to some great places when FFM is over

Sent from a Soviet missile bunker

KYLECT

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Counting down the days, getting out the frag tanks and cooler, bringing over 300 frags!

Headiesheradon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First things first, I want to say Thanks a lot to the Craigslist poster and all on this forum for the news on this event. I just joined this forum and have been in the hobby for about 9 months now. My tank, a 46 bowfront with sump and skimmer is coming along quite nice. Problem is, it is very bare and needs some color and life added. With the minimal selection and high local prices it has not been in my range to acquire many specimens. I have a pair of clowns, firefish, bicolor blenny and a yellow watchman. For coral I have assorted polyps, zoanthid, mushrooms, trumpet, xenia, anthelia, riccordea and GSP. All are very small and everything is green. Any suggestions for some nice colorful beginner corals to look for would be highly appreciated. I absolutely love this hobby and my tank and feel like a little kid on Christmas waiting for this weekend to come. My better half is even coming with me, she loves the tank too. I really like coral that flows and moves around but also would like to add some reds and blues along with yellow. I think I want a torch coral and hammer coral for sure if in my price range. Anyway, Thanks again and I'm extremely happy I found this and look forward to meeting some of you at this show. Can't wait, talk to you soon!

Bobby C.

Here's a link to a vid on Youtube showing my setup.

46 Bowfront Reef Update - YouTube

I will have a over 75 acan frags to choose from which range in color from grade A to true rainbows that will blow your mind!! Acans are generally easy to care for and provide alot of pop to any tank!! And im sure that there will be a endless amount of zoas and palys to choose from as well. I think it might be a little overwhelming if you haven't been before. lol. I know I sure was at my first frag swap!! Coming all the way from VA to this fantastic event!!!!

incloud

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the response, I am looking very forward to this swap and am sure I will find some really interesting info and corals while there. I don't have a slew of extra cash, but will do my best to get a couple things. Just have to see how it goes. One thing for sure is that this can be an expensive hobby, but I love it. Thanks again!

By the way, what time does the show open. I've got an hour drive from Worcester and a couple errands in the morning? Thanks!

fitch4

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doors open at 11am, plan to spend a few hours looking. I am up to 45 sellers and had to expand into another room to fit everyone! Regardless of what you are looking for, you will find it at the FFM.

jtomasi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a couple of questions given that this will be my frist event.

What is the appropriate etiquette? Are prices negotiable like at a flea market? Is it rude to even attempt to barter?

Is there strategy involved? If I have put together a small shopping list for example, should I buy the first piece I see of that frag (because it might later be gone), or is it better to shop around for prices?

Do people bring frags to swap?

I am somewhat joking when i say this, but it isn't going to be like WalMart on black Friday when the gates open right? I have always and will continue stay in doors on black Friday...never understood getting trampled to save $50, haha.

Anyway, super excited and can't wait!

OP
OP
swannyson7

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think that it would be wrong to barter, but be prepared for people to say no. Many of the prices are already much lower than you'd find at the LFS, so people may not be willing to lower prices. That being said, it can't hurt to try! As far as the shopping list, it's entirely up to you. It's a bit of a zoo once the doors open and there's a constant stream of people at nearly every booth. If you spend your time shoppin around, the first piece you see may be gone by the time you get back and you'll be out of luck. People generally don't bring frags to swap (unless prior arrangements are made) and most people would probably frown upon it seeing as people have paid to set up a booth and sell corals. Last year had a pretty steady stream of people and at times was very similar to a Black Friday event. If you aren't a fan of large crowds, you'll have to strategically pick the room you're shopping in to avoid the elbow-to-elbow shopping.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 2 4.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 36 81.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 6.8%
Back