CTARS 2020 Board Elections/Nominations

Good_vibes_reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello CTARS members,

We are approaching a new year which means elections for new board members.

We need some people that can help us take that excitement and continue on, making it bigger and better. We typically have meetings once a month with the exception of summer and Fragtoberfest months. Most communication is done remotely with conference calls and chat apps. During normal months, time required (at the meeting and behind the scenes - board meetings, planning/conference calls) is about 1-3 hrs per month.
Fragtoberfest planning months require the team to work together, and all put in an hour or two a week.

Here is a list of the roles and brief description of duties:

The President
The main job of the President is to grow the membership and direct the future expansion of the club. The President shall attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS as well as preside at the regular monthly membership meetings and at other special meetings of CTARS. He or she will appoint special committees and be an ex-officio member of these as well. The President shall be the principal executive officer of CTARS, subject to the control of the Board of Directors and the Bylaws, and shall, in general, supervise and control all of the business affairs CTARS. He or She shall, when present, preside at all meetings of the Board of Directors. He or She may sign, with the Secretary or any other proper officer of the Society there unto authorized by the Board of Directors, any deed, mortgages, bonds, contracts or any other instruments which the Board of Directors has authorized to be executed, except in cases where the signing and execution thereof shall be expressly delegated by the Board of Directors or by these Bylaws to some other officer or agent of the Society, or shall be required by law to be otherwise signed or executed; and in general shall perform all duties incident to the office of President and such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time. The President and treasurer shall both be designated as account executives. Furthermore, the President will call the board of Directors together and presides at these meetings. He or she can appoint the chair of all standing committees subject to the approval of the Board of Directors as well as call special meetings whenever deemed necessary also.

The Vice President
In the absence of the president, or his or her refusal or inability to act, the Vice President shall perform the duties of the President, and when so acting, shall have all the powers and responsibilities of and be subject to all the restrictions upon the President. The Vice President shall perform such other duties that may be assigned to him or her, from time to time, by the President or the Board of Directors. The Vice President shall be a member of all Committees and shall be informed of any business of said Committee so that he or she may present it to the board in the absence of said Committee Chairman. The Vice President shall also act as sponsor liaison. The Vice President shall become President should the President Leave CTARS. The Vice president shall have the power to appoint no more than two (2) CTARS members, which are in good standing, to assist with the membership application process. The Vice President shall announce to the Board of Directors those two regular Members of CTARS he or she wishes to assist in the membership application process prior to the next regular meeting.

The Secretary
It shall be the responsibility of the Secretary to inscribe the proceedings including the date, time and place of all meetings, in one or more books, and to be prepared to read the specified records when requested. They are to see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws or as required by law. The office requires the maintenance of CTARS records, except those designated to other officers. The Secretary should also maintain a register of all Members’ telephone numbers, e-mail and USPS addresses at all times. When the President and Vice president are absent in any meeting, the Secretary shall preside. The Secretary shall also be responsible for maintaining copies of all correspondence as directed by the board. Furthermore, the secretary shall attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS. It is also essential to countersign as secretary of CTARS all instruments, papers, and documents when asked to do so by the board of directors.

The Treasurer
The Treasurer is custodian of all funds and securities of CTARS and as so, must take adequate precautions to safeguard them at all times. The Treasurer shall keep in order financial records and/or books, and all tender by check and expenses incurred by the Club. It is essential to receive, and give receipts, for all monies due and payable to CTARS from any source whatsoever, and deposit all such monies in the name of CTARS in such banks, trust companies, or other depositories as shall be selected in accordance with the provisions of the Bylaws. The Treasurer is required to present immediately prior to the end of the fiscal year, all financial records to the person specified by the Board of Directors for audit and shall include a written statement of the financial condition of the club, including a statement of receipts and expenditures. The Treasurer shall also present a financial report to the Board of Directors anytime at the request of any member of the Board of Directors. Furthermore, the treasurer must attend all regular monthly and special membership meetings of CTARS and report upon all the financial transactions of CTARS at the regular monthly membership meetings, or at any time requested by the current board of directors. He or she must dispense money for the payment of bills and current expenses of CTARS as authorized by the board of directors and keep the same as part of the treasurer’s records. In addition, they must receive dues, raffle monies, auction monies or any other funds that are collected during the regular monthly meeting, or any event that is in which CTARS may be participating in as directed by the President or the Board of Directors. Moreover, the Treasurer must prepare all regulatory and tax filings as required under federal and state statues.

This year we have also had a position on the board that Anthony Wasley has been fulfilling- Education Outreach. We have been able to connect CTARS with the education scene in CT. Anthony has also been assisting with planning the lectures at the meetings.

The Board will announce their nominations soon. Currently they are in contact/contacting potential nominees. Any member in Good Standing can have their name added to the slate, however you will need to have someone second your nomination.

Please, before you post anyone's name on here, check with the person you are nominating to be sure they are willing to do the job before nominating them!! Once they accept, there will have to be a 2nd to get them on the ballot.

Nominations will close on Friday, December 15th, 2019 at the end of the day. For the past years we have had very little amount of willingness to be on the CTARS board. Despite that, the club has still maintained a strong presence in the state. We owe a great deal of this to Nicole Lawrence. Nicole has decided it is time to step down from president after years of dedication to the club. Bob has also decided to step down from the Secretary role after helping tredmosusly this year. The only members still around to be on the board, if nominated, are Earl, Aaron, and Anthony. Last year, nobody was willing to be on the board. The post on CTARS Reef2Reef had nominations but nobody stepped up. The last December meeting involved an unfortunate moment in which CTARS would not continue because nobody wanted to be on the board. Anthony, Bob, and Earl met with Nicole after the meeting and decided to keep CTARS going for another year. Many of us were getting our bearings and had many ideas but were not about to move them forward. Some of these ideas included:

CTARS meetings at fish stores again
Tank Tour meetings in which a member invites the club to their house to show off their system
More social media presence
Reef Buddies- a system connecting newbie reefers with veteran reefers
Themed frag swaps (like an SPS month or leathers month, etc)
Tank tour Live Stream videos for those that cannot host a meeting in their home but want to show off their tank

CTARS has been a club for a long time. It’s been through a lot but has still maintained itself as a successful club. We have not seen actual voting happening online for years so we are asking for nominations and willingness to join. If we have so many people that want to be in the club we will move forward with voting that will happen during our December 15th meeting both in person and online. People have asked, why we do this on-line? CTARS has some long time members that do not attend meetings, yet they renew their dues each year to help support the club. On-line voting gives every the opportunity to vote. After the December meeting we will announce the Board.

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wanted to say what a privilege it's been serving on the board this year. Had I not taken over my other club this year, I would stay on the board without a doubt. I met a lot of people, made some new friends, and learned a ton. I appreciate being given the opportunity to work with @sassAwrasse, @Good_vibes_reefing, @A.Jones, and @Waz and I look forward to what's next for CTARS in 2020.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As Earl said, I do have to step away from the Board for now. Family is the most important thing, and you never know when things may change and someone may not be here anymore.
I have a lot going on in my personal life that I need to focus on, and right now I can't give the Board/Club the attention it deserves.

I want to say thank you to my fellow board members. It was a fun year. I do wish we had started earlier and done a few more things, but overall I'm glad the Club was able to stick around for another year. If it weren't for Earl's positive attitude, persistance and support, I wouldn't have been around this year. You were a calming voice during Fragtoberfest stresses, and you took charge without being asked. You are AMAZING. So thank you from the bottom of my heart!

Thank you to Aaron and Bob for stepping up and filling needed roles. You guys stepped in just because you cared that much about the club...didn't care which roles, just wanted to help. You 2 also rocked at FFM and Fragtoberfest! Waz, thanks for bringing some education and excitement to the club, and helping out with meetings! It was appreciated and a refreshing addition!

For those hesitant to join, please step up and help the club go on another year.
It just takes a little planning and organization to map out meetings for the year. It could easily be done over lunch/dinner...heck, if you get a new board together for a dinner, I'll help you all plan if need be.

It is fun and rewarding...just work together and enjoy giving your time to a good cause!
Make it an even better club then when you found it!

captc07

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sincerely hope we can find a few people willing to help keep this club alive. With the right group and proper organization it really is a manageable work load. If anyone has any questions or wants to discuss being on the board reach out to myself or a current BOD member.

sassAwrasse

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As it stands, no one has reached out for information about joining the board nor has anyone been nominated.

We need to get this solidified so the club can make plans for the future.

As the club can operate without a Vice President, I nominate the following for the 2020 CTARS Board:

Earl for President ( @Good_vibes_reefing )
Chuck for Secretary ( @HerpN )
Aaron for Treasurer ( @A.Jones )

The nominations need to be seconded by other members, and accepted by the nominees.

The new board will decide what route to take with volunteer members for education, social media, lutz tank committee, and more.

Going forward, the club will most definitely need help doing a major overhaul on the website, so if you are able to assist to help us rebuild, then possibly update 2-4 times a month going forward, that would be a huge, huge help!!

The club is also in desperate need of volunteers to help maintain the Lutz tank. In exchange for maintaining the tank, the club receives a free meeting space for our monthly get togethers. We had a good crew maintaining the tank for a while, and they did a great job, but life happens and they all have had to step away.

The club needs 2-4 people that are available 1-2 times a month to check on the tank during the museum's normal business hours.
This consists of small water changes, occasional water testing, looking over the tank and all equipment to make sure everything seems to be in working order, and touching base with the Lutz staff to see if they need anything from us. Any expenses related to the Lutz tank maintenance are covered by donations and club funds.

@Waz is our resident educational ambassador, but we always welcome help at meetings. If you are ever interested in presenting a 20-40 minute presentation on a topic you know well...or dare I say a topic you are an expert in...the club is always looking for volunteers.

Let's get this wrapped up so CTARS can start another great year of reading and community.

Thanks ya'll!!!!

Last edited:

rtn

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also second all nominations and have utmost confidence in those nominated. I do wish one more person would step up and fill that last role, but the show either goes on, or it doesn't.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 18 29.5%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 51 83.6%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 11.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.9%
Back