Cubes and Flow: Looking for options

xyzner

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 23, 2016
Messages
75
Reaction score
57
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I'm getting close to finishing my tank build, but I'm stuck considering powerhead/wavemaker options. Tank is a 60 gallon 24x24. Right now I have my return (still unsure what this, gph wise, will give me since I put the sump in my basement and am unsure how much flow I'm going to get with my Pan World pump), and a used MP40 ES. I plan on the tank being almost purely SPS and despite reading multiple old threads and searching high and low, I still haven't found a great option. From what I can find, getting the correct flow in cubes can be quite difficult. Should I stick with what I have or go the gyre route? Any placement ideas? I'm on the fence about getting rid of the MP40 and going with the Maxspect 230 for uniform flow and adding a cheaper Jebao pump to get more targeted flow. I could really use some placement AND combination ideas. Over flow is in the right back corner FWIW.
 
Last edited:
Just go with random and cross flow. Place two powerheads in the tank and adjust from there. I have an SPS dominant cube and have never had issues with flow, dead spots, etc. I’m running 2 WAV pumps
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new