CUC Question

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
This may be a silly question, but I've recently set up my first frag tank (repurpose quarantine tank that was just sitting around since I finished stocking my tank last July), I had it cleaned out, seeded with new Seachem matrix that was sitting in my other tank and effectively just running for months.

It started the ugly phase and I dropped a snail in from my display tank, which just sat there for a week. I didn't even think about it, but I tested alk and it was a lot higher than my display tank because I was using cheaper salt (reef crystals vs Tropic Marin) and there was a difference. I adjusted it and it is the same as my display tank for all parameters except nitrates and phosphates.

Is there risk of shock/death of CUC by moving them back and forth from the display and frag tank if the nitrates and phosphates differ? I want to be able to drop in a snail or hermit without acclimation each time. I am going to use the same salt going forward so I can move frags back and forth, but I plan on having higher nutrients since the frag tank is going to be just zoas and shrooms vs my SPS mixed reef.

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It depends how often you'll be doing that.
If there is enough time for the snails to settle down (about a week or so) I don't think there is any risk in it.
However, I would rather get enough snails to have them permanently in both tanks and not bother with it in the first place.

Rennurdoar

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
This may be a silly question, but I've recently set up my first frag tank (repurpose quarantine tank that was just sitting around since I finished stocking my tank last July), I had it cleaned out, seeded with new Seachem matrix that was sitting in my other tank and effectively just running for months.

It started the ugly phase and I dropped a snail in from my display tank, which just sat there for a week. I didn't even think about it, but I tested alk and it was a lot higher than my display tank because I was using cheaper salt (reef crystals vs Tropic Marin) and there was a difference. I adjusted it and it is the same as my display tank for all parameters except nitrates and phosphates.

Is there risk of shock/death of CUC by moving them back and forth from the display and frag tank if the nitrates and phosphates differ? I want to be able to drop in a snail or hermit without acclimation each time. I am going to use the same salt going forward so I can move frags back and forth, but I plan on having higher nutrients since the frag tank is going to be just zoas and shrooms vs my SPS mixed reef.
It depends how often you'll be doing that.
If there is enough time for the snails to settle down (about a week or so) I don't think there is any risk in it.
However, I would rather get enough snails to have them permanently in both tanks and not bother with it in the first place.

I'm kinda with @DanyL on just getting more for the frag tank. After watching @SBB Corals videos, and how many Astrea snails he has in his tanks. I went and picked up a bunch, going to get 10 more Astrea today also. My LFS has them for .99c each, so pretty cheap.

I think just getting some for the frag tank itself is better than the stress of switching between tanks.

But for your original question, I don't know if it would have an adverse effect on them or not. I wouldn't think so though.

OP
OP
Kasrift

Kasrift

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I'm kinda with @DanyL on just getting more for the frag tank. After watching @SBB Corals videos, and how many Astrea snails he has in his tanks. I went and picked up a bunch, going to get 10 more Astrea today also. My LFS has them for .99c each, so pretty cheap.

I think just getting some for the frag tank itself is better than the stress of switching between tanks.

But for your original question, I don't know if it would have an adverse effect on them or not. I wouldn't think so though.
I think both of you are right. I just don't want things to starve in a little 10 gallon, not much to eat compared to the display tank, so was thinking of moving things in as needed. I just dropped one astrea in there, but was thinking a hermit to pick up food that settles.

But you are correct, I should just get a few more CUC for this tank. Thanks for the input.

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 86 87.8%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back