Culturing phytoplankton without fertilizer

  • Thread starter Thread starter smhray
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

smhray

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jul 17, 2020
Messages
86
Reaction score
27
Location
Toronto
What state or country do you live in
Canada
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I was just wondering if it is possible to culture phytoplankton without fertilizer like f2 or other products. Also is there some other items I can use to fertilize? This is my first time trying to culture phytoplankton and I’m having trouble locating f2.
 
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=guillard...8&sprefix=guillard,aps,182&ref=nb_sb_ss_i_5_8
@andrewkw , I'm located in the States, any sources up in Canada?

And no. It's not possible to culture phytoplankton without fertilizer. The phytoplankton we work with are not diazotrophs (take in atmospheric N2 nitrogen), and thus need nitrogen supplementation as well as phosphorus, magnesium, potassium, and a couple of other things. You could try culturing with skimmate as a fertilizer, or better, miracle grow liquid fertilizer, but really Guillard's F/2 is highly recommended.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 6 4.3%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 18.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 47 34.1%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.7%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.2%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 20 14.5%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.5%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new