Cupramine, power outage, cross contamination

fishfairy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello,

Hoping for some help, I usually try to research things but I just can’t find an answer. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Background: we have a ProStar 200 that is fallow with soft corals and a CUC. Our fish are all being held in a 40 breeder being treated with cupramine. We quarantine our new fish but don’t treat them during QT unless we see symptoms. I learned my lesson and managed to introduce Ich after a 4 week quarantine (observation only). Luckily we caught it early. Now all of our fish have all been in therapeutic level cupramine for 23 days while our DT sits fallow.

We just had an ice storm that knocked out power for 5 days. We have a generator but once our house temp hit 40ish degrees the heaters couldn’t compete. As a last resort we moved all fish and corals to a relatives house who had power. We were able to keep fish separate from the corals and snails. We are extremely lucky and had no casualties.

But I have 2 questions now that power is back:
In my haste to save the fish I cross contaminated utensils with the DT. Meaning I possibly introduced Ich back to my quarantined fish tank. The fish never left therapeutic level cupramine during this whole ordeal. They have already been in cupramine for 23 days. Should I start the quarantine process over due to cross contamination? Can they handle another round of cupramine for 30 days. My tangs are looking a little stressed from the move but still eating fine.

Second question. Our DT reached 48 degrees. Luckily we don’t have a lot of coral. We were only able to save the live rock with coral attached as we had limited space. Should we assume the remaining 150ish pounds of live rock in the DT will have die off? Our clean up crew and corals are in a very small tank while we figure this out and wait for the DT to get back to temp.

Any advise is appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some people run copper for just 14 days (although I always go 30 myself), so I think that the risk of having a tank tool transfer ich after 23 days is minimal to non-existent. Tank tools acting as a fomite has really only been seen during active infections.

When you say the LR will "die off" the algae and microfauna may, but the bacteria should rebound. You can test this theory pretty easily, get the DT up to temperature and monitor the ammonia. If no rise after a week or so, then you are good to go.

BTW: sorry to hear of the troubles you had, moving tanks is never fun, and doing so because of weather must make it plain awful!

Jay

OP
OP
fishfairy

fishfairy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to Reef2Reef!

Some people run copper for just 14 days (although I always go 30 myself), so I think that the risk of having a tank tool transfer ich after 23 days is minimal to non-existent. Tank tools acting as a fomite has really only been seen during active infections.

When you say the LR will "die off" the algae and microfauna may, but the bacteria should rebound. You can test this theory pretty easily, get the DT up to temperature and monitor the ammonia. If no rise after a week or so, then you are good to go.

BTW: sorry to hear of the troubles you had, moving tanks is never fun, and doing so because of weather must make it plain awful!

Jay
Thank you Jay I wasn’t sure how long Ich could spread after a fallow period starts! We will keep an eye on the big tank for a while before adding anything coral back, great to know the bacteria can still rebound! Appreciate your response

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back