Cuprisorb

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have been running Coppersafe for 30 days in my QT's and ready to remove. I read too late some of your posts that Cuprisorb is better at removing Cupramine than chelated copper. Unfortunately I already purchased it and started using it. In your experience will it not work at all or will it just take longer to remove the chelated copper? Should I buy the poly filters you recommended or should I do some water changes and use the Cuprisorb to clean up what I can't get out through water changes?

Also I haven't done the two rounds of Prazipro yet but wanted to confirm I can do that while I remove the copper without any problems? No other meds in the water. Will be observing the fish for the next 30 days waiting for Fallow period to be over.

Thank you!

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish I have been running Coppersafe for 30 days in my QT's and ready to remove. I read too late some of your posts that Cuprisorb is better at removing Cupramine than chelated copper. Unfortunately I already purchased it and started using it. In your experience will it not work at all or will it just take longer to remove the chelated copper? Should I buy the poly filters you recommended or should I do some water changes and use the Cuprisorb to clean up what I can't get out through water changes?

Also I haven't done the two rounds of Prazipro yet but wanted to confirm I can do that while I remove the copper without any problems? No other meds in the water. Will be observing the fish for the next 30 days waiting for Fallow period to be over.

Thank you!
Cuprisorb will work, it just takes a little longer.

You can use Prazi while pulling the copper if you desire, Personally, I would wait until chelated copper is below 0.5ppm but no reason to wait to zero. Make sure you have adequate aeration in your tank.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cuprisorb will work, it just takes a little longer.

You can use Prazi while pulling the copper if you desire, Personally, I would wait until chelated copper is below 0.5ppm but no reason to wait to zero. Make sure you have adequate aeration in your tank.

^^ This; Cuprisorb removes all types of copper. But it just does a better job of removing Cupramine, whereas the poly filter works best on Coppersafe/Copper Power.

OP
OP
Blue Carbon Reefing

Blue Carbon Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^^ This; Cuprisorb removes all types of copper. But it just does a better job of removing Cupramine, whereas the poly filter works best on Coppersafe/Copper Power.

@Humblefish
@Brew12

Thank you both! Any comments/experience on recharging the cuprisorb after it has been used. I have read it can be done but is it a waste of time? Should it be recharged once and then discarded? I am sure it can't be used over and over without losing it effectiveness.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Humblefish
@Brew12

Thank you both! Any comments/experience on recharging the cuprisorb after it has been used. I have read it can be done but is it a waste of time? Should it be recharged once and then discarded? I am sure it can't be used over and over without losing it effectiveness.
I've never done it so I can't comment. By the time you figure in the acid I didn't find the cost savings to be worth making the attempt. If you have the muriatic acid anyway I don't see any reason not to give it a try. It can be recharged multiple times but not indefinitely.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It can be regenerated the same as DI resin, by soaking in muriatic acid. Takes about an hour. There are more detailed directions at the bottom of this page: http://www.seachem.com/cuprisorb.php

It's not hard to do, but great care must be taken because of the acid. I recommend wearing heavy-duty long rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc.

Humblefish

Dr. Fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again. Sounds more complicated than I want to take on but I appreciate the feedback.

I'm comfortable using muriatic acid, because back in the day DI resin was expensive so you sorta had to regenerate it yourself. But I can understand being apprehensive if you've never fooled with it. It is a chemical that should be respected, that is for sure.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I use poly fiber pads, cuprisorb, and carbon in conjunction with MASSIVE water changes. After two massive water changes I replace all of the media and let it run a week with all new cuprisorb, carbon, and polyfiber pads and test after a full week. The process takes about two weeks in my experience.

Step 1) giant water change
Step 2) add cuprisorb, carbon, and pokyfiber pads
Step 3) replace poly fiber pad after 3-4 days. I run it attached to powerhead for max exposure
Step 4) wait a week, giant water change again.
Step 5) replace all media, wait another week
Step 6) Giant water change again. Leave media in for 1-2 more weeks.
Step 7) Test. If not zero, repeat large water change and all new media.

I've done this several times and had the coral back in 2-4 weeks. Test several times over a period of a few days to be sure before adding inverts/coral.

Elgringodiablo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever run Cupisorb in a DI canister in a media reactor? Stuff looks almost identical to DI resin and the DI canisters from BRS fit in their media reactors. Figure I could fill one with Cupisorb and run it alongside Rox 0.8 in my media reactor for a while.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone ever run Cupisorb in a DI canister in a media reactor? Stuff looks almost identical to DI resin and the DI canisters from BRS fit in their media reactors. Figure I could fill one with Cupisorb and run it alongside Rox 0.8 in my media reactor for a while.
Should work just fine if you have a sponge to keep the cuprisorb in.

Khwee

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree. I use poly fiber pads, cuprisorb, and carbon in conjunction with MASSIVE water changes. After two massive water changes I replace all of the media and let it run a week with all new cuprisorb, carbon, and polyfiber pads and test after a full week. The process takes about two weeks in my experience.

Step 1) giant water change
Step 2) add cuprisorb, carbon, and pokyfiber pads
Step 3) replace poly fiber pad after 3-4 days. I run it attached to powerhead for max exposure
Step 4) wait a week, giant water change again.
Step 5) replace all media, wait another week
Step 6) Giant water change again. Leave media in for 1-2 more weeks.
Step 7) Test. If not zero, repeat large water change and all new media.

I've done this several times and had the coral back in 2-4 weeks. Test several times over a period of a few days to be sure before adding inverts/coral.
Hey are you just dumping the curpisorb in the tank? Or does it need to be held in some sort of bag? What can i use if i dont have anything to hold the curpisorb in?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hey are you just dumping the curpisorb in the tank? Or does it need to be held in some sort of bag? What can i use if i dont have anything to hold the curpisorb in?
It would have to be put in a mesh bag that is fine enough to keep all the beads in it.

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A mesh bag would be my advice, as you'll need to remove it and re-fill it.

Aliciahawkins1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be regenerated the same as DI resin, by soaking in muriatic acid. Takes about an hour. There are more detailed directions at the bottom of this page: http://www.seachem.com/cuprisorb.php

It's not hard to do, but great care must be taken because of the acid. I recommend wearing heavy-duty long rubber gloves, face mask, eye protection, etc.
Hi when you say massive water change how much should I change. I have a 75 gallon tank

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back