Curing dry rock question

GlassMunky

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@cracker lol I’m sooo sorry you just make me laugh (not at your situation but how you word it). So here is an idea for both of you. Now I can not promise this will work but worth a shot. If you have local aquariums they have lots of dry rock live rock etc. A suggestion like I did was that my old rock that was full of algae etc I traded to them for dry rock.

I didn’t want to boil it and or whatever, but they have use for that kind of rock for other tanks that are not display tanks and need it. They gave me more dry rock than my one live rocks. I then cured the dry rocks in my garbage bin while seeding it with one of my normal live rocks that I kept. If you have rocks that are covered in alagae, I don’t suggest placing them back in the tank. It will regrow and spread and back to square one. I would see if the aquarium would trade you for some dry rock. Mine had also traded for normal live rock also. Most lfs won’t because they don’t want this problem either, but aquariums do for huge huge tanks that they need it for.

You could boil the rock however, my suggestion is to get a crab pot, and maybe do it on a bbq outside or aka beach fire. To many chances with it possibly releasing palytoxins. Some have used vibrance when curing dry rock. But I have always seen issues with dry rock even after the tank has cycled. I highly don’t suggest that route.
Ok it really needs to be noted to EVERYONE, that “boiling” live rock does NOT mean to actually boil it, NEVER do that.
Generally when people talk about boiling rocks it means they are either bleaching or acid bathing or both.

Actually boiling rocks is super dangerous

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd say leave it in the water. If you pull it now ,in 3 weeks all bacteria that grew will die & tou will have basically dry rock again.

So I've been in the hobby for 20+ years or so but it's been a while since I've had a tank running. I'm thankful for all of the advice but I need some clarification for my own knowledge. The rock I have curing in my tub is the Marcos reef safe or whatever it's called. It's man-made rock, has never seen the ocean.....so what kind of bacteria am I in danger of losing if I take it out of the plain heated saltwater that they've been in for 3 weeks? Am I missing something?

Sarah24!

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been in the hobby for 20+ years or so but it's been a while since I've had a tank running. I'm thankful for all of the advice but I need some clarification for my own knowledge. The rock I have curing in my tub is the Marcos reef safe or whatever it's called. It's man-made rock, has never seen the ocean.....so what kind of bacteria am I in danger of losing if I take it out of the plain heated saltwater that they've been in for 3 weeks? Am I missing something?

Hello,

Well In theory all that time and growth will be wasted in which regardless can leach into your display tank. I guess I’m short of you wanna risk out breaks from algae then that’s your decision. Just, must of us put lots of money, time, effort into the display tanks. I wouldn’t risk it simply because of all the things I don’t wanna mess with, that’s one of them. It just won’t be a one time issue if will be long lasting. But getting rid of it now and making sure it’s gone now is much much essier than when it’s in a mature reef.

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking more in line of excess Po4 .
Also I suspect I thought you were curing it other live rock. Which would intro bacteria. The longer the soak the better.
I guess which way you go is for 2 differing purposes.
One would be to intro bacteria that's where the Live rock comes in maybe a bottle of DrTim's or such
The other would be for leaching Po4 from the dry rock. That would mean a long soak in clean water, changed often.
Which ever sounds the most logical to You.

Last edited:
OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well In theory all that time and growth.....

Growth of what exactly? What is growing on this dry rock in a garbage can full of saltwater? I'm asking honestly

Also I suspect I thought you were curing it other live rock.

No...just the Marcos rock...I may have typed the wrong thing in my original post

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get it just Marco & water. I'm sure I just assumed. just a can with water no bacteria introduction that way .
Add some live rock of bottled bacteria then that's introducted . Please let us see the tank once Ya get it going !

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 172 72.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 7.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 42 17.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.1%
Back