Curing old live rock - when is it safe to add

  • Thread starter Thread starter scruggyj
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

scruggyj

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Dec 15, 2013
Messages
105
Reaction score
2
Location
South Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought some BRS Fiji old live rock.

I have it curing now.
I rinsed it in RODI, then placed in a tank in the garage with powerhead and heater.
It was in there for a few days and I did 100% water change to get it out of the nasty greenish dirty water.

My question is....when do I know it is safe to add to my existing tank.
Once the ammonia and nitrite is zero? I read that it can take 1 - 4 weeks depending on how much old organic matter the rock had on it.
 
Yes, definitely wait until the readings are an even zero before adding it in. Hopefully it won't take as long as several weeks, but it's worth the wait if you can avoid the danger of having a sudden ammonia spike in your tank.
 
Sorry to steal the thread but what should I do if I have a large piece of rock that has been out of the tank for about 3 months? I have a 125 gallon mixed reef with 100s of pounds of rock but I have one piece that I'd like to add that I took out. It's probably a 35 pound rock. Where do I start. I couldn't afford a cycle or a crash!
 
Sorry to steal the thread but what should I do if I have a large piece of rock that has been out of the tank for about 3 months? I have a 125 gallon mixed reef with 100s of pounds of rock but I have one piece that I'd like to add that I took out. It's probably a 35 pound rock. Where do I start. I couldn't afford a cycle or a crash!

I would rinse it off and cure it in a bucket with saltwater and a power head. I would check the parameters to see if you get any parameter spikes.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 4.0%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 39 31.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.9%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 7.1%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new