curing rock in bleach - temps?

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i shut my last tank down about 5 years ago. rock has been sitting in my basement, since.
i am getting ready to pressure wash it, and then start the bleach soak process.
I was going to place all the rock in a brute can and let it sit outside.

two questions.

1. can the brute can have a lid placed on it? Or does this work better open??
2. does this process change any if it's friggin cold outside? Does temperature matter?

i want to place it in the basement where it's warmer, but I'm concerned about possible gasses/odors. if a lid can be used, then that solves that issue.

since it will take a while for my rock to cycle, i think i'll start this whole process now while im still building my set up

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why bleach?

why not just saltwater and a skimmer?

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, when i yanked the rock from my last set up, i don't believe i ever rinsed it, i figured bleaching was the safest way to make sure all the bad will be removed before using.

all the threads/videos I've read / watched, mention this should be done.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes.
2. If the water freezes, as it would at my house, nothing will happen.
After 5 years there's probably nothing on/in them that a pressure wash won't get off.
I do not know why people gotta bleach rock. Makes no sense to me but to each their own.
In the old days we'd just put it out in the sun for a summer, rinse it off and stick it in the tank.
Won't work here, but my point is the same.
If super worried, pressure wash then boil then rinse.
My opinion.

OP
OP
reef tank 2.0

reef tank 2.0

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i remember when i got my last tank up and running, I used this dry rock. Was it ever used before? I am not sure. I pressure washed it, let it dry, stuck it in my tank and started the cycle.

not sure why i think my circumstance is any different, but a lot of reading and listening, makes me second guess things. I'd be all for pressure washing, rinsing, and moving forward.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i shut my last tank down about 5 years ago. rock has been sitting in my basement, since.
i am getting ready to pressure wash it, and then start the bleach soak process.
I was going to place all the rock in a brute can and let it sit outside.

two questions.

1. can the brute can have a lid placed on it? Or does this work better open??
2. does this process change any if it's friggin cold outside? Does temperature matter?

i want to place it in the basement where it's warmer, but I'm concerned about possible gasses/odors. if a lid can be used, then that solves that issue.

since it will take a while for my rock to cycle, i think i'll start this whole process now while im still building my set up
If you're starting a brand new tank, you can just "cure" the rock during the initial cycling period. Any organics in the rock will serve as an ammonia source for nitrifying bacteria... Unless you think the rock has been exposed to something harmful, pressure washing will be plenty.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i certainly like that process. The rock certainly has not been exposed to anything other than the basement cold :)
Then I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Have fun.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i certainly like that process. The rock certainly has not been exposed to anything other than the basement cold :)
Maybe put a blanket over the barrel to keep the cold out! :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

No bleaching, no boiling unless you are making rock soup. Pressure wash if you want, put the rock in saltwater, monitor phosphate and alkalinity, and treat (lanthanum / baking soda) if phosphate rises or alk falls, both can happen without any living motivations. Getting the P off (haha) and filling the alk holes (spots where alk adheres to in rocks) will help get stability and lower P values at the start, before you put the rock in the tank. Bacteria will start growing when you put it in saltwater.

Edit: Forgot to suggest maybe starting a build thread, and thanks for putting that rock back to work. This is going to be fun and excellent, ime!

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Yes.
2. If the water freezes, as it would at my house, nothing will happen.
After 5 years there's probably nothing on/in them that a pressure wash won't get off.
I do not know why people gotta bleach rock. Makes no sense to me but to each their own.
In the old days we'd just put it out in the sun for a summer, rinse it off and stick it in the tank.
Won't work here, but my point is the same.
If super worried, pressure wash then boil then rinse.
My opinion.
Boil? Huh?

Where does this nonsense come from?

I don’t even understand the need to pressure wash.

00W

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Boil? Huh?

Where does this nonsense come from?

I don’t even understand the need to pressure wash.
The OP was worried evidently.
Neither you nor I are in his garage.
I agreed with you on the bleach.
I also think he could probably just put the rock in with little to no worries.
HOWEVER, since we're NOT there, I suggested something.
I've boiled, pressure washed, rinsed, soaked in a bathtub, set in the sun and run rock in a tub outside because I was worried about where it came from or what might be on it.
None of what I said is nonsense.
Not cool bro.
Not cool at all.

Aquavaj

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
5 years you should be able to just pressure wash and use. Bleach is commonly used for resetting tanks since you want to kill off all organic matter fairly quickly.
Lid or no lid I don't think it matters on effectiveness. The concern would be the smell when indoors or animals getting to it when outdoors. Couldn't find an exact temperature range for bleach effectiveness but looks like it'll work with cold to hot water. I'd just avoid extremes on both sides.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP was worried evidently.
Neither you nor I are in his garage.
I agreed with you on the bleach.
I also think he could probably just put the rock in with little to no worries.
HOWEVER, since we're NOT there, I suggested something.
I've boiled, pressure washed, rinsed, soaked in a bathtub, set in the sun and run rock in a tub outside because I was worried about where it came from or what might be on it.
None of what I said is nonsense.
Not cool bro.
Not cool at all.
Hi -

Neither of us need to be in his garage.

My position on the advice stands.

I don't know who started the literal "boil rock" nonsense, but it is silly and can be extremely dangerous and for what purpose?

Pressure washing - honestly? what is the purpose or benefit? Reality, you aerosolize a bunch of crap or drive it deeper into the surface structure, when you can simply brush away.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back