Curing Rock

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm receiving my Pukani rock from BRS today. I'm going to cure it in a covered Brute barrel as everyone suggests with a heater and pump. I have a few questions. Can it be cured outside without a heater in the barrel? Do I use saltwater, tap water, or RODI?

Saltybubbles288

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rodi saltwater over fresh imo just so the rock cycles as well as cures, the heater I don't know if your really going to need it depending on the ambient temp. The pump is needed, you'll want high current to help dislodge any old organic material.

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pukani since it has a lot of organics on it it I would first rinse with bleach water. Then clean it off with rodi very well. Get some acid from the hardware store and give it a dip in there. Again rinsing with rodi after. Then use fresh saltwater to cure and cycle it. You will have a PO4 issue if you just throw it in a bin to cure t.

blkhwkz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For my pukani rock, I used muriatic acid bath first. Then rinsed it with a hose and threw it in saltwater in Brute can in the garage and dosed lanthanum chloride every other day. Did maybe 2 water changes in 9 or 10 weeks. Zero phosphate/algae issues in the year that it has been in my tank.

OP
OP
J

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With pukani since it has a lot of organics on it it I would first rinse with bleach water. Then clean it off with rodi very well. Get some acid from the hardware store and give it a dip in there. Again rinsing with rodi after. Then use fresh saltwater to cure and cycle it. You will have a PO4 issue if you just throw it in a bin to cure t.
Thank you

OP
OP
J

jimsreef17

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the bleach bath straight bleach or a water mix? Same with the acid bath? How long in each bath do you suggest?

cwalton00

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
BRS just did a decent video on it. If you can't find it let me know

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 79 38.2%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 26 12.6%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 31 15.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back