Curious about these toggle switches and the Apex Breakout box...

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
https://www.amazon.com/Abrams-Taurus-Premium-Switch-Panel/dp/B071LQ1Y5T/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=Abrams+Taurus+Premium+12V+Switch+Box+Panel&qid=1554749650&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

Would this work? I can't tell if the regular switch is two prong, or if its the momentary switch that is two prong. From what I understand, three prong is fine but only 2 of them are actually used.

As for the Momentary switch. How would you guys use this? I figured i'd just leave it unwired because I'm not sure what I'd use it for.

Last edited:

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might be able to use that, it would depend on how each switch is actually designed.
However, even if the switches work to tell the Apex whether they're open or closed, the LED lighting won't work.
The Apex breakout box is for sensing only, 3.3V TTL, and provides no usable power.
If you want to add illuminated switches to your Apex, the best approach is to use switches with two contact sets;
one set of leads connected to the breakout box for signalling, and another set connected to a separate power supply to light the LED.
For example, here's an illuminated pushbutton switch that can be made to work with the Apex.

With a momentary contact switch, you can set up a VO to have it initiate something when it's held down for a few seconds.
The activated device could then turn itself off later via a Defer statement.
The Feed cycles already do something similar, but if you want a physical switch instead, it can be done.

rkpetersen

walked the sand with the crustaceans
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The link shows a schmatisc for the back side. I'm not worried about the led I just wanted to make sure, by ignoring that third prong, they are still viable.
Oh yeah, there it is! For some reason I didn't see it the first time (and thought I looked!)
I'm still not sure that would work with Apex though. You could wire it to toggle on and off, definitely (attach nothing to the black pin), but will the Apex detect it?
It might depend on how much resistance the LED places on the circuit when the switch is closed.
Unfortunately, not an electrical engineer. :)

Last edited:
OP
OP
smartwater101

smartwater101

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh yeah, there it is! For some reason I didn't see it the first time (and thought I looked!)
I'm still not sure that would work with Apex though. You could wire it to toggle on and off, definitely (attach nothing to the black pin), but will the Apex detect it?
It might depend on how much resistance the LED places on the circuit when the switch is closed.
Unfortunately, not an electrical engineer. :)

Oh, sorry, by "they" i meant the switch in general. Just want to make sure the switch is good. I don't care about the LED lights. I just like the look of the switches lol. Although those push button ones you linked look kinda cool as well.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 3 7.5%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back