ATO Improvement

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, I am trying to think of a way to provide another failsafe for my ATO on my tanks and the only idea I could think of is to use a float switch wired inline with the pump wiring. Therefore, if the float switch is activated, the ato pump will not be able to pump water into the tank because its power will be cut off by the float switch. Does this seem like something that could work? Here's the ATO I use for reference : ATO

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it would work. But all that hassle you could have just gotten a Tunze.

I have my Tunze hooked up to my apex. If the water level goes up to high (using a LLS) it shuts off the outlet the Tunze is connected to then shuts off the solenoid valve connected to the ATO/RO line that fills the sump.

Back ups for back ups.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's a common fail safe. If you're confident in your wiring you could do that. This is assuming you aren't using any kind of aquarium controller, if you were you would wire the float switch to control the outlet via a breakout box or depending on the switch directly to the controller. If you are unsure about the electrical, this is a good option:

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, that's a common fail safe. If you're confident in your wiring you could do that. This is assuming you aren't using any kind of aquarium controller, if you were you would wire the float switch to control the outlet via a breakout box or depending on the switch directly to the controller. If you are unsure about the electrical, this is a good option:

Im confident enough to combine a couple wires lol. I don't use any type of aquarium controller.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like it would work. But all that hassle you could have just gotten a Tunze.

I have my Tunze hooked up to my apex. If the water level goes up to high (using a LLS) it shuts off the outlet the Tunze is connected to then shuts off the solenoid valve connected to the ATO/RO line that fills the sump.

Back ups for back ups.
I know, I know. For some reason it's hard for me to justify spending that much money on an ATO when I can make DIY improvements to a cheaper ATO and save money.

doubleshot00

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know, I know. For some reason it's hard for me to justify spending that much money on an ATO when I can make DIY improvements to a cheaper ATO and save money.
I have a $100 im15 with a $100 tunze for a ato. I have no worries. :cool:

Now my big tank i have the Tunze 3155.

nothing_fancy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im confident enough to combine a couple wires lol. I don't use any type of aquarium controller.
Haha, ok, it's probably overkill given the low amperage of that sort of ATO but if you want to make a project out of it you might consider using a relay and building it into a little plastic box.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
float switch wired inline with the pump wiring.
Unless your float switch is rated for the pumps wattage and amp draw you are more than likely going to fry the float switch. Especially if the pump runs on 120v, this is also very dangerous.

Float switches act like a relay to tell a controller to turn the device on or off.

Running the current directly through the float switch is a bad idea.

OP
OP
TheSheff

TheSheff

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless your float switch is rated for the pumps wattage and amp draw you are more than likely going to fry the float switch. Especially if the pump runs on 120v, this is also very dangerous.
71S9yyrZRRL._AC_SX679_.jpg

The pump doesnt hook directly to the wall and connects to the "pump" side of the connector in this image. I figured since it wasnt directly connected it would be fine.

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The pump doesnt hook directly to the wall and connects to the "pump" side of the connector in this image.
Looks like that ato is running on a 12v design. This still can ruin the float switch depending on the amp draw. If it fails, it will most likely be in the closed (on) position because the current will "weld" the circuit closed within the switch.

Basic float switches aren't rated for more than a few mili amps.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 46 16.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 157 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.9%
Back