Curious as to what this is

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This little guy is lightning fast, and has two relatively large front claws.
IMG_0423.JPG

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Stu

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have a humpback like an amphipod. They only seem to get up two 1/8 of an inch in length, and only a millimeter wide. They have a straight skinny body and the two large front claws are visible with the naked eye. They kind of remind me of super tiny mantis shrimp, but they obviously not. They also swim so quickly I would say they are faster then amphipods.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Reef Stu

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is a poor, zoomed in picture from my smartphone. Not the best representation. I only posted it to show the length and width in proportion to its own body. The pic at the top is under a microscope. These little guys seem to love Phytoplankton.

OP
OP
Reef Stu

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it look like this?

I just saw your pictures in your post. I think we have the same creature. Let me know if you get a better response then the generic copepod answer. [emoji1303]

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does not have a humpback like an amphipod. They only seem to get up two 1/8 of an inch in length, and only a millimeter wide. They have a straight skinny body and the two large front claws are visible with the naked eye. They kind of remind me of super tiny mantis shrimp, but they obviously not. They also swim so quickly I would say they are faster then amphipods.

I’m ignorant to the look of either creature irl, but that written description is spot on for what I’ve got

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know online pictures can be off base, but most of the pods, co and an, don’t seem to look like these little guys.

I dunno if that dirt pile pic I sent would have anything to do with this?

Also, I can’t keep snails alive and have heard the clicking once before, dunno if it’s a mantis or what, but it’s a possibility. Have you had any of that? Maybe it’s some fry of some shrimp or something?

OP
OP
Reef Stu

Reef Stu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know online pictures can be off base, but most of the pods, co and an, don’t seem to look like these little guys.

I dunno if that dirt pile pic I sent would have anything to do with this?

Also, I can’t keep snails alive and have heard the clicking once before, dunno if it’s a mantis or what, but it’s a possibility. Have you had any of that? Maybe it’s some fry of some shrimp or something?

I agree no online pictures seems to match... But I do think it’s some variation of Isopod.

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine look white, slightly translucent. They show blue in my pics but that’s because this iphone6 camera can’t handle a little LED lol

Antegon

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like a baby mantis shrimp to me.

I definitely see the resemblance, but these little things don’t seem as ... shrimpy? Shrimp-esk? I dunno. They haven’t swarmed anything or killed anything or anything yet lol. Fish are not interested in eating them at all, which I would have thought they would have if they were pods, but i don’t know if that’s true

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 13.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 56.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 7.4%
Back