curious red dragonet/ruby head dragonet question

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I picked up 2 dragonets at the lfs. A red dragonet and a ruby head dragonet. Both are so tiny! They have found each other and hang here and there together. The red is more adventuresome. I was told 1 was male, 1 was female. Will they/can they pair up

They are so darn cute. I also have a green mandarin that is super fat! They are in a 79" 240g system. I cultivate my own pods so have plenty. Would also like to know if I can add another green at some point. I think I have a female
20221004_192213.jpg

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Those two are different. Ruby Red dragonet and red scooter blenny. They won’t pair. At least on the dragonet green or red males have a spike in their dorsal fin. I believe they recommend two females to a male. I have put three 1 male two female if the Ruby red in my reefs. You don’t want two males unless you tank is BIG!

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Those two are different. Ruby Red dragonet and red scooter blenny. They won’t pair. At least on the dragonet green or red males have a spike in their dorsal fin. I believe they recommend two females to a male. I have put three 1 male two female if the Ruby red in my reefs. You don’t want two males unless you tank is BIG!
I believe I have 1 male and 1 female per lfs, plus I think my green mandarin is a female. Tank is 79x26x26 240 system

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I believe I have 1 male and 1 female per lfs, plus I think my green mandarin is a female. Tank is 79x26x26 240 system
Tank is large enough to support more than one harem of each, possibly. But I wouldn’t double up. You can identify sex on the Ruby red and green mandarin if you watch for them to fan their dorsal fin. Spike is obvious and male, lack of spike female. As I have read one male to two or three females in the Ruby red. I’m not sure if the ratio holds for the green. Haven’t looked up the scorers as I only added one per tank.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is large enough to support more than one harem of each, possibly. But I wouldn’t double up. You can identify sex on the Ruby red and green mandarin if you watch for them to fan their dorsal fin. Spike is obvious and male, lack of spike female. As I have read one male to two or three females in the Ruby red. I’m not sure if the ratio holds for the green. Haven’t looked up the scorers as I only added one per tank.
I also cultivate my own pods. Down the line, if these 3 work, would love either a mate for the green or a phyc. mandarin. But plan to let the 2 new guys grow up. My other tank has pods now so I can add one there.

HankstankXXL750

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I would add the mates while they are smaller so they are near the same age. I think you could get away with a psych in that size tank? But we put one of each in two different reefs.

OP
OP
Susan Edwards

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably could. The green mandarin is an adult so I'd have to find a male, after confirming she's a she.. I'll have to see how the pod population is down the road. No hurry to add more atm.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 76 37.8%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 69 34.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 12.4%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 29 14.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back