Curious

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Joined
May 16, 2015
Messages
5,462
Reaction score
2,789
Location
Mitchell SD
What state or country do you live in
South Dakota
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, i got a maxima clam back in april, was doing great and awesome. Well a few days ago it was dead and just an empty shell was laying at the bottom of the tank. I have noticed it wasnt coming out much. I do t have a lot of knowledge on clams which is why im asking. I did have a gha outbreak. Whcih was consuming all my nitrates and phosphates. Since then i have added phosban for the phosphate to get rid of gha. Well needless to say i have no ghs, but nitrates are around 160 ppm. Working on bringing that down. Would that be why my clam died?
 
Ime, clams can be sensitive to changes in both no3 and po4, especially drastic changes. Some fish also love to dine on clams.
 
Hmm. Ive never noticed any fish messing with it. I have a potters angel, Molly Millard blenny, green mandarin, two clowns, amd a cleaner shrimp as well as a serpent starfish
 
It's possible the angel or cleaner shrimp were picking on it. but my money is on your high level of no3.
 
Ok i figured so. Ever since i got rid of the po4 the gha dissapeared and now the nitrates are high.
 
Ur nitrates r way too high but i got a maxima clam. It lasted 3 weeks. I later got a deresa and we r going on several months now and it looks great. I dose phytoplankton twice per week.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 8 5.1%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 27 17.1%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 55 34.8%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 11 7.0%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 6.3%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 24 15.2%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 10 6.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new