Cursed with ich...can a McCosker handle copper???

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm changing to TTM and prazi only, then at with a black molly
TTM is a great method! I have 2 toddlers, ages 3&4. So the time to do TTM isn’t always an option. And we are dealing with my sick father in law.
With velvet it wasn’t even an option.
My goal is 1.5 weeks of observation. Then run prazi, then 4-6 more weeks of observation.
I like doing 1.5 weeks of observation only so that I don’t have prazi in th water in case of a situation like this where I have to clear out the tank and use copper. (I got lucky this time that I already had another tank set up for another set of fish that I canceled).
My first round of new fish for the tank, this worked really well with.
And I would say that this time it did as well.
After 30 days (someone correct me if I am wrong on the length of time in copper for velvetor ich) in the 20 gallon, I’ll transfer him to a 10 gallon and observe for 2 more weeks. Then probably run prazi since he hasn’t had that.

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All right, I’m going to need some advice now. Flash has been doing well, but after a few days in copper, he is not eating as well. I’ve noticed his eating has backed off over the past couple of days and then yesterday he barely ate anything. I don’t want to back off the copper levels, as it probably hasn’t been long enough to treat the velvet. However, I know McCLakers‘s have a hard time with copper.
I am using copper safe, and the level is two point all. Not sure what to do. I have my black grams, and I picked up some roe today.

Deinonych

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best you can do at this point is stay the course. I've never had good luck with flashers and copper, personally. And since velvet is suspected, your treatment options are limited (if this were crypto, TTM would be a viable, and recommended option).

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had flashers come through copper if added slowly. Unfortunately it’s a necessary evil :/

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had flashers come through copper if added slowly. Unfortunately it’s a necessary evil :/

Ok! Flash has completed his 30 (actually 31) days of copper. He did awesome!! At the beginning he was iffy with eating but I kept trying things and he is the biggest pig!

Transferred him to an observation tank tonight! 2 weeks and hopefully a clean bill of health and he will graduate to the DT!

Thanks for your help with him!! That late night up until 2 am with the freshwater and reef rally bath were worth it!!

4FordFamily

Tang, Angel, and Wrasse Nerd!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok! Flash has completed his 30 (actually 31) days of copper. He did awesome!! At the beginning he was iffy with eating but I kept trying things and he is the biggest pig!

Transferred him to an observation tank tonight! 2 weeks and hopefully a clean bill of health and he will graduate to the DT!

Thanks for your help with him!! That late night up until 2 am with the freshwater and reef rally bath were worth it!!
Glad he pulled through! :)

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am glad to see you have rescued another one.:)

OP
OP
Mini Coop

Mini Coop

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Mini Coop, hows he doing after all this ? Mine Flasher yellowtin wrasse showed some white spots this afternoon... that's why I reached this topic :(

He’s doing GREAT!!!
Here is an update video. He’s very active and Super FAT! Lol.
I also have a pintail fairy wrasse in copper right now. I didn’t have to do the FW bath or anything on him. Just preventative. But he’s doing well. If you need to QT, put him in a FW bath and new clean tank, and you can take up to 72 hours to raise copper levels.
If you need any help feel free to post here or reach out!!

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 38 24.4%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 47 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back