Purple tang markings

Tyberzann

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 3, 2023
Messages
62
Reaction score
35
Location
UK
What state or country do you live in
United Kingdom
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good evening all,

It appears I am cursed when it comes to purple tangs.

I have had issues getting these tangs through qurantine so I decided to purchase a pre qurantined fish from my local lfs.

The fish has had 2 treatments of prazi and a fully copper treatment before being moved into the stores displays. All his fish go through this.

I now have the tang home and have placed It into an observation tank on its own with some rubble from my display.

I have had the fish for 2 weeks and Its showing some weird markings and is quite twitchy.

It eats extremely well and is gaining weight but the marks concern me.

Any idea if its ich, or maybe some viral nodes.



20261008_160106.jpg

20261008_160043.jpg

20261008_160035.jpg
 
I see ick on the dorsal.
I see marks where it fell off.
Looks advanced.
It’s an ick magnet fish.
Hopefully I’m wrong.
LFS quarantine is no guarantee.
 
Good evening all,

It appears I am cursed when it comes to purple tangs.

I have had issues getting these tangs through qurantine so I decided to purchase a pre qurantined fish from my local lfs.

The fish has had 2 treatments of prazi and a fully copper treatment before being moved into the stores displays. All his fish go through this.

I now have the tang home and have placed It into an observation tank on its own with some rubble from my display.

I have had the fish for 2 weeks and Its showing some weird markings and is quite twitchy.

It eats extremely well and is gaining weight but the marks concern me.

Any idea if its ich, or maybe some viral nodes.



20261008_160106.jpg

20261008_160043.jpg

20261008_160035.jpg

Looks like ich to me as well - mucus plugs can look like this, but those don’t grow on the fins.

Ich is difficult for dealers to quarantine for because it takes a full 30 day treatment, and they usually don’t want to spend that much time.
 
Good evening all,

It appears I am cursed when it comes to purple tangs.

I have had issues getting these tangs through qurantine so I decided to purchase a pre qurantined fish from my local lfs.

The fish has had 2 treatments of prazi and a fully copper treatment before being moved into the stores displays. All his fish go through this.

I now have the tang home and have placed It into an observation tank on its own with some rubble from my display.

I have had the fish for 2 weeks and Its showing some weird markings and is quite twitchy.

It eats extremely well and is gaining weight but the marks concern me.

Any idea if its ich, or maybe some viral nodes.



20261008_160106.jpg

20261008_160043.jpg

20261008_160035.jpg
A SIGN OF ICH. You will need to place fish in Quarantine tank and treat with Coppersafe or Copper Power at therapeutic level 2.25 for a FULL 30 days (do not interrupt this 30 day period) monitored with a Hanna Brand copper test kit- No API brand. Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone. All other fish in with it should also be removed as they have also been exposed to the parasites and placed in quarantine tank.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. Inverts and coral can remain in the display (not treatment) tank during fallow period.
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store, a Rubbermaid type tub or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DOES YOUR REEFING AREA LOOK LIKE BETWEEN MAINTENANCE SESSIONS?

  • Clean and tidy—everything gets put away

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Mostly cleaned up, but a few tools stay out

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Organized chaos—I know where everything is

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Enter at your own risk! Buckets, hoses, and towels are basically permanent fixtures

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • It depends on where I am in the maintenance cycle...

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • The tsunami hit. Hard.

    Votes: 1 4.5%
  • A different take... (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new