Curve 5 Skimmer upgrade

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my curve 5 skimmer pump is going out. Any recommendations? Should I replace with original sp1000 pump. Upgrade kit? Or ??

t5Nitro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My lifereef might be the best skimmer I've owned.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My skimmer quit working 3 weeks ago. I cleaned it and got it working again. This past weekend it quit again. I cleaned it and got it working again but... now I turn air dial all the way down to 1 and it barely is pushing any foam up to the bottom of the cup. Skimmer is 2 yrs old. I always kept my Air dial before set on about 2.5 and produced a half a cup of skim about every 3 days. It’s been set wide open since yesterday and has produced any foam at all hardly. Is the pump probably bad?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can buy custom attachment that you can use sicce pump with. I believe i seen someone selling them here.
Search 3d printed sicce pump attachment for curve here in search bar or Google.
You can also buy custom cone plate for bubbles.

OP
OP
Chiefmaster30

Chiefmaster30

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this signs of a bad pump? I just don’t want to buy a new pump or upgrade my pump if the pump ain’t the issue.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Same pump.

Did you take pump apart and clean impeller and impeller shaft of any debris ?

LRT

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this signs of a bad pump? I just don’t want to buy a new pump or upgrade my pump if the pump ain’t the issue.
Generally I can't speak on the pump itself mine is less than a year old. That being said these are great skimmers. Cant beat the compact size as efficient as they are.
If it was me id upgrade the pump to sicce and you will most likely never have to worry about the skimmer again.

Unholy_Rigatoni

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe fish street has a DC pump upgrade for the Bubble Magus Curve 5 , always wanted to try it but mine's still going strong.

Water Dog

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made sure that the volute, where the airline connects to the pump intake, is clear of debris and salt build up? Whenever I hear that a skimmer is not producing foam like it used to, that is the first place I look to do a thorough clean out.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you made sure that the volute, where the airline connects to the pump intake, is clear of debris and salt build up? Whenever I hear that a skimmer is not producing foam like it used to, that is the first place I look to do a thorough clean out.
^^This^^ Left alone my Curve 7 gets plugged with salt creep where the airline meets the water flow in the volute about every 8-12 months. I pull it apart every 6 months and clean it out as part of regular maintenance now.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.3%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 42 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 161 67.1%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back