OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a vent for the heat to blow out of or will you leave the far end door open?
Hi Jackie, I have two bathroom exhaust fans venting outside so the cabinetry can stay closed.:bigsmile:

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's nice! (Wish I could do that lol). That's a good size fan, I think it should do the trick :) I am going to have to add some to my canopy as well.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well my earlier frustration with my acropora in my other system has taken a turn for the better. I thought this acro (on left if you couldn't tell - lol) was a goner after it experienced both RTN and STN. Now the base has rebounded and has colored up and will hopefully continue to improve. These creatures are so amazing!
photo.jpg

It's so amazing how they can make a come back after they look like they've kicked the 'ol bucket! Yay, glad to hear it! I left my seemingly dead ones in the tank and some came back as well before. But something always gets them in the end :( Maybe the new tank will be the charm...

Did you ever find out what the growth is on the tang? How is he looking now?

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yesterday I added about 18 sps corals, 2 cleaner and 2 fire shrimp to complete my livestock additions for quite some time and the goal now is to let it grow out. it will help that I learned just today that I will be taking a 3 month assignment working out of town starting Monday, home on the weekends. I did not need this so soon after the new set-up so hopefully my 14 year old daughter can keep an eye on things along with feeding regularly. We shall see how this works out...

photo 1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks FANTASTIC Tim! I wish I was finished with my build and just buy coral :p
Thanks Jackie! Your tank will be finished before you know it and that's when you need to dig deep in your pocket for the livestock money at a time when you feel tapped out. Enjoy the build while you can...

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tank really is impressive!!
Thanks 'fishroomlady' as it is much appreciated. I am really enjoying it and can finally relax and just stare at it. My TV even broke in that room and I am in no hurry to replace it!

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you ever find out what the growth is on the tang? How is he looking now?

Jackie
125g mixed reef peninsula
Get this, my "Fish Lady" told me it was herpies!:eek:oh: She also said that once I add my cleaner shrimp, it will get "cleaned" up. I will say I was skeptical at first but no more than 2 days after adding the shrimp, there is no sign of the growth and the tang is healed! I now consider her my "Fish Goddess" and will believe anything she says...LOL:pray2:

zesty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get this, my "Fish Lady" told me it was herpies!:eek:oh: She also said that once I add my cleaner shrimp, it will get "cleaned" up. I will say I was skeptical at first but no more than 2 days after adding the shrimp, there is no sign of the growth and the tang is healed! I now consider her my "Fish Goddess" and will believe anything she says...LOL:pray2:

I think it might be time to have a talk about the birds and the bees and some emphasis on protection. :sly:

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bad news to report today related to my yellow tang. He was doing great but died suddenly. I think I know what caused his death and am kind of perplexed. Shortly after adding my livestock in early July, I added some Phosphate Rx to lower my tank levels and later noticed the tang breathing heavy/fast. He pulled through it and I didn't think much of it thereafter as I switched to GFO. The last couple of weeks I had been running carbon in my reactor without GFO as I had been working out of town and found the GFO plugged up requiring me to shake the reactor up frequently. Last night I tested and found my phosphate levels crept up to around 0.1. I decided to use the Phosphate Rx even though I had a feeling in my gut that it may affect my tang, but decided to go ahead thinking the previous observation was unrelated. Well the call from my daughter came this afternoon saying he was laying on the bottom, breathing heavy. By the time I got home, he was deceased. Nothing else in my tank was affected. Anyone else experience something similar when using this product? In my other system I have used this product with no problems from livestock, including another yellow tang...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I'm sorry to hear this news Tim :( I haven't used such a product. Wish I could help. When my phosphates crept up once I just started a biopellet reactor. It works bretty good

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Tim! Just stopped by to see how things have been going lately... I'll be setting my tank up this weekend if all goes well :) Lol, only 2 months behind schedule! Well, it'll be up and running but the stand and canopy will not be finished, just operational.

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi Jackie - Thanks for inquiring! Things are doing great which does not lead to anything interesting from a thread perspective as I am just letting things grow. I did make a few new purchases a couple weeks ago after losing the yellow tang, including another yellow tang, yellowed-eye kole tang, two ruby red dragonets and these three frags:
140828 A.jpg
140828 B.jpg

All are doing their time in the quarantine system...

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's great news :) Those are some very nice sticks too! Whats the green one to the rear left? I have one but forgot what it's called. It wasn't doing well but seems to be making a come back. Wouldn't you know, just in time for the tank switch-a-roo....

OP
OP
TimSc2013

TimSc2013

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some bad news to report today related to my yellow tang. He was doing great but died suddenly. I think I know what caused his death and am kind of perplexed. Shortly after adding my livestock in early July, I added some Phosphate Rx to lower my tank levels and later noticed the tang breathing heavy/fast. He pulled through it and I didn't think much of it thereafter as I switched to GFO. The last couple of weeks I had been running carbon in my reactor without GFO as I had been working out of town and found the GFO plugged up requiring me to shake the reactor up frequently. Last night I tested and found my phosphate levels crept up to around 0.1. I decided to use the Phosphate Rx even though I had a feeling in my gut that it may affect my tang, but decided to go ahead thinking the previous observation was unrelated. Well the call from my daughter came this afternoon saying he was laying on the bottom, breathing heavy. By the time I got home, he was deceased. Nothing else in my tank was affected. Anyone else experience something similar when using this product? In my other system I have used this product with no problems from livestock, including another yellow tang...
I found a thread on Twin Cities Marine Aquarium Society that discusses Lanthanum Chloride and indicates that you can kill tangs with this chemical. It either depletes the O2 levels or the phosphate precipitates out of the aquarium water which is "sticky" and attaches to their gills. Others have experienced the heavy breathing and death of their tangs after using larger amounts of this chemical. Well at least I now know that my assumption/observation of my tang's death was right and hopefully others will learn from this info.

prsnlty

Jackie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So what you're saying is that it was in fact the Phosphate Rx that killed him? And that this stuff is dangerous to tangs?

Jackie
180g mixed reef peninsula

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 74 45.1%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 75 45.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 15 9.1%
Back