OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats the end-game here? To build your own tank to your specs and save money?

Idk man.... there are certain things you just have to pay a professional to do for you.

Just like DIY Bathroom Dentistry..... you get more value and less headaches leaving it to the Professionals

The end game for me is to build a rather cheap tank with nice dimensions that work for me. not trying to sound like "that person" but I do understand the risks. this is my first saltwater and my first DIY tank so ik what I'm getting into. I appreciate the thought though. But i am taking every safety measure possible to ensure nothing goes wrong. for the rock issue i already planned on keep the tank sparsely "planted" with rocks or attaching the rocks together with rock glue. I am also planning on using either eurobraces or crossbeams or both for support and I might do thicker glass as well.

OP
OP
L

LifeOfAquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it can work with 1/4" glass in my opinion. I would never do it as a diy(and i have built glass tanks). Your latest dimensions are similar to a mass market 55g (shorter and wider though) which uses 1/4" glass.
not trying to sound like "that person" but I do understand the risks. this is my first saltwater and my first DIY tank so ik what I'm getting into. I appreciate the thought though. But i am taking every safety measure possible to ensure nothing goes wrong. for the rock issue i already planned on keep the tank sparsely "planted" with rocks or attaching the rocks together with rock glue. I am also planning on using either eurobraces or crossbeams or both for support and I might do thicker glass as well.

mehaffydr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why not just wait for Petco tank sale and buy a 75 gallon tank for like $100 and know you have a good start. Based on your questions do you really think you have the knowledge or ability to build your own tank? Not trying to be mean but you may be way better off just buying a tank.

Mar344

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
not trying to sound like "that person" but I do understand the risks. this is my first saltwater and my first DIY tank so ik what I'm getting into. I appreciate the thought though. But i am taking every safety measure possible to ensure nothing goes wrong. for the rock issue i already planned on keep the tank sparsely "planted" with rocks or attaching the rocks together with rock glue. I am also planning on using either eurobraces or crossbeams or both for support and I might do thicker glass as well.
If you understand the risk then its 100% your choice. It is not the choice I would recommend but, that's why there's chocolate and vanilla. Remember that the tank size and thickness people are talking about are for framed tanks that have been engineered and manufactured to work. I'm a huge fan of DIY projects, I usually then to over engineer and over due things to account for my potential mistakes. One of my favorite quotes : "Over design is lead by incompetence." Just make sure you do all your homework. Make sure you account for all failure modes and I am sure you will be ok.

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Black And White Oops GIF by Buyout Footage

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As someone who loves to DIY I understand the allure of making your own tank- not sure you will save any money at all- once you buy the glass and silicon masking tape and squares or glass cutters( which you might already have granted) you are already probably $150 in. You can get something close in dimensions with a warranty and proven track record for similar costs, maybe a tad more. Used tank is also a good option. That said, often the draw of DIY is not savings, but the pride of having built it yourself- which I totally get. Personally as others have said the risks to livestock and floors are orders of magnitude higher than the money you might save. But, your comfort with that risk and faith in your skill to build a DIY tank only you can know. As mentioned low boy 4x2 tanks are about $110 in my area. A little nicer deep blue tanks are about $300. Aqueon/Marineland fall in between...

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Checks the box as far as safety factor is concerned, just not sure how much money it would actually save.

Back