Custom Build - Rethinking everything I think I know....

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on your painting. I see you painted all your fittings, any issues with the primer and glue still bonding to the pipe or did you have to clean the overspray out first.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Curious on your painting. I see you painted all your fittings, any issues with the primer and glue still bonding to the pipe or did you have to clean the overspray out first.
Worst part was taping. I used painters tape to mask off every part that would be primed and glued. I then stuffed the insides with paper towels. It was brutal on my neck but worth it.
I do have one or two touch ups but otherwise, the paint held up very well when gluing.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like how u just painted on ur floor. Lol.
Gonna replace it anyways i guess. Lol
D
You should have seen my husbands face when he saw me painting on the floor. Priceless.
They rip it out in two weeks.
I'll build my canopy in there, too.... paint away!

Weasel1960

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should have seen my husbands face when he saw me painting on the floor. Priceless.
They rip it out in two weeks.
I'll build my canopy in there, too.... paint away!
Thanks for the info, I see that now when I zoom in on fittings. I bet that was tedious particularly with your neck.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info, I see that now when I zoom in on fittings. I bet that was tedious particularly with your neck.
Tedious ... painful .... worth it. I painted way more fittings than I needed. I wanted the ability to think as I went.
I did not paint the unions or the valves. I may also swap out the elbows in the overflow for unpainted ones. I don't know how well that paint will hold up submersed in salt water. I'll probably just switch those two out for a pair of sch 80's.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For your magnets, sicce may be able to send you stronger magnets that work for your pumps.

For a nominal fee of course ;)
They said no - told me to take the rubber cover off of the magnet. It seems to hold but it's not very strong.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLUMBING IS COMPLETE!!!! Fingers crossed against leaks and hoping the glue holds that silicone hose on the pump. LOL
Hoping I got the heights of the overflow pipes right for the siphon. Fingers crossed.
Have about 50 gallons of RO made. As soon as I finish running electrical, I'll mount the RO to the stand.
So close and yet so far....

Attachments

• PXL_20210530_152806818 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210530_152806818 (1).jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 50
  • PXL_20210531_011157132 (1).jpg
    PXL_20210531_011157132 (1).jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 37
  • PXL_20210531_194344446.jpg
    PXL_20210531_194344446.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 47
  • PXL_20210531_194419924.jpg
    PXL_20210531_194419924.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 45
  • PXL_20210531_194438769.jpg
    PXL_20210531_194438769.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 53

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
PLUMBING IS COMPLETE!!!! Fingers crossed against leaks and hoping the glue holds that silicone hose on the pump. LOL
Hoping I got the heights of the overflow pipes right for the siphon. Fingers crossed.
Have about 50 gallons of RO made. As soon as I finish running electrical, I'll mount the RO to the stand.
Love the overflow dimensions and angle of your return!

James_O

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! :D

That tank will be really cool once it’s filled. :cool:

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good job! :D

That tank will be really cool once it’s filled. :cool:
Thank you! Waiting on a Kasa power strip from Amazon. It was due yesterday but Amazon said that they attempted delivery but failed because the "business was closed" at 10:41 pm. So ... annoyed ... I certainly don't advocate Amazon making people work until midnight delivering packages but if they are going to deliver that late, then don't lie. I'm not a business and I made certain the porch door was unlocked. Cameras show that they were never here. Oh well .... it's one little hiccup. We're getting there.
sloth GIF

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how did todays project go?
Excruciatingly painful and subsequently slow. Lots of working under the stand which is murder on the neck - at least for me. Some progress was made. I found the least of all evile for the Kasa strips. Not my first choice but the cords are so short! UGH. I mounted the ATO . For whatever reason the holes for the dosing tubes in the Trigger Sapphire were too small to accommodate either the ATO tubing or the dosing tubing. That was nerve wracking drilling a new sump.
I moved both of the Sicce SDC XStream wavemakers from the 90 gallon to the new build. All of the ATO pumps and the SDC were given a good vinegar cleaning.
Tomorrow I need to go get more 1/4" tubing to finish the ATO / AWC. I hope to move the RODI from the bathroom to the stand. I think once that is done, I'll be able to route the line for the AWC into the drain. If I can that accomplished, the stand can be leveled and filled.
For now ... I'm getting an ice pack and some meds.
Thanks for checking in on me. Tomorrow is another day.

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm glad you got through it! Did you get a solution to your magnet issue?
We'll see when the water fills. The rep from Sicce said to remove the rubber boot. They are holding but that is dry and they are not running yet. Fingers crossed.

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We'll see when the water fills. The rep from Sicce said to remove the rubber boot. They are holding but that is dry and they are not running yet. Fingers crossed.
I'm not super familiar with Sicce...is the magnet part internal or external?

Bo.

Impatient as always
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't tell from that link, but maybe you could test which side is magnetic. I was just thinking if the magnet part is external, maybe Matt from Octo Aquatics could make you an external mount. The N52 magnets he uses are super strong. Might help instead of replacing your powerheads

OP
OP
CMMorgan

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I couldn't tell from that link, but maybe you could test which side is magnetic. I was just thinking if the magnet part is external, maybe Matt from Octo Aquatics could make you an external mount. The N52 magnets he uses are super strong. Might help instead of replacing your powerheads
I actually have one of his magnets. It did not do the job. I reached out to a magnet company. He explained that because there is a magnet on both sides, they need to be an equal match.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 31.1%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 23.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 20.7%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 34 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back