Custom build rimless tank bowing

jtl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have built a few but only 48x24x20H, rimless, no eurobracing and I used 1/2" glass with 3/4" on the bottom. Never a problem. I would need to check the safety factors from the online estimators but 1/2" is on the lower end and 3/4" is overkill. I think eurobracing will give you a comfort factor and make everything OK. The eurobracing will support the seams from the top, which is the problem the higher you go. All tanks bow and glass is extremely flexible. Unless there is damage to the glass panels the water pressure blows out the seams before it will ever break the glass. Just have the builder do the eurobracing and don't stress.

Footnote: I would suggest that to be ultra safe that you lower the water a bit and clamp the top close to each end panel until you can get the eurobracing installed. Just a precaution. Don't lose sleep over this!

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder came to my house and added the euro bracing, and he did not take the money ($150 that I agreed on), he said I was nice :).
Will post more pictures once I add water back in, see how it goes. Again, thanks everyone for helping out.

IMG_20190929_220025.jpg

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 feet height corresponds with about 60cm

60cm height requires 10mm glass minimum... But this is "with" braces.

1/2 inch corresponds with about 12mm

For a rimless you would have to move up a notch or maybe 2.

So I cant really say the builder has done anything wrong.

That being said. Every tank bows. The longer your panel the more it bows. My 100cm with 10mm glass bows a little.

I would really like to know,how much your tank actually bows. Pictures cant really say accuratly.

Dont panick. Give me some numbers. And if your really uncomfortable just put 2 braces in and enjoy your tank.

Added a picture so you can see it on my tank.

IMG_20190927_185218.jpg
2 feet height corresponds with about 60cm

60cm height requires 10mm glass minimum... But this is "with" braces.

1/2 inch corresponds with about 12mm

For a rimless you would have to move up a notch or maybe 2.

So I cant really say the builder has done anything wrong.

That being said. Every tank bows. The longer your panel the more it bows. My 100cm with 10mm glass bows a little.

I would really like to know,how much your tank actually bows. Pictures cant really say accuratly.

Dont panick. Give me some numbers. And if your really uncomfortable just put 2 braces in and enjoy your tank.

Added a picture so you can see it on my tank.

IMG_20190927_185218.jpg
There was a 0.4 inch bow, measured 24 inch at both sides, 24.4 inch in the middle after the tank was filled.

Thanks

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The builder came to my house and added the euro bracing, and he did not take the money ($150 that I agreed on), he said I was nice :).
Will post more pictures once I add water back in, see how it goes. Again, thanks everyone for helping out.

IMG_20190929_220025.jpg

Looks good, if you're happy with the repair sounds like a good resolution for both parties. Great that they didn't take payment :)

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_20190929_220025.jpg

Looks great! Most importantly let it cure for a few weeks before refilling it :)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back