Custom build rimless tank bowing

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you build it? If not, I recommend contacting the builder and asking them for advice.

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought it from a tank builder.

IMG_20190916_194639.jpg IMG_20190916_194631.jpg

AdamB

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have filled my custom build rimless tank, it's 5ft x 2ft x 2 ft tank, with 1/2inch glass, now it's bowing at both 5 ft side, Should i be worried? What should I do?
Call the builder for sure

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If this was just a water test, I'd drain it until getting it resolved with the builder. Looks like a mess waiting to happen leaving it as is.

malacoda

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. lower the water level down to ~18" ASAP. If the glass is bowing it means there is stress on the silicon seams. The seams will give out well before the glass does.

2. Call the builder and find out what's going on. It looks rimless. And with no eurobracing along the top no less.

Most pros -- well-known names like Reef Savvy, TankMeUSA, Crystal Reef Aquatics, etc. -- will not build a rimless taller than 20" (22" max) without eurobracing.

I'm no tank builder, but did a LOT of research before deciding what size and shape rimless I wanted custom made ... and everything I read indicated that once you get above 20" without eurobracing, you stand significant risk of bowing.

kiMxD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I will definitely call the builder tmw, and figure how could this be fixed, may be adding eurobracing, would that be an option?
Id have him replacing the seams and the two bowed panels before adding any eurobrace. If you bought it new, he should have done it right the first time.

hart24601

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. lower the water level down to ~18" ASAP. If the glass is bowing it means there is stress on the silicon seams. The seams will give out well before the glass does.

2. Call the builder and find out what's going on. It looks rimless. And with no eurobracing along the top no less.

Most pros -- well-known names like Reef Savvy, TankMeUSA, Crystal Reef Aquatics, etc. -- will not build a rimless taller than 20" (22" max) without eurobracing.

I'm no tank builder, but did a LOT of research before deciding what size and shape rimless I wanted custom made ... and everything I read indicated that once you get above 20" without eurobracing, you stand significant risk of bowing.

I agree, the dimensions and thickness are troubling. I have a miracles rimless 48x24x24 and they insisted at that height anything under ¾” was not safe. I had them build me another tank (72x24) but out of ½” glass and they would only build it to 22” tall and put a eurobrace on it.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, the dimensions and thickness are troubling. I have a miracles rimless 48x24x24 and they insisted at that height anything under ¾” was not safe. I had them build me another tank (72x24) but out of ½” glass and they would only build it to 22” tall and put a eurobrace on it.

Miracles wouldn't let me go 1/2" at 17" high for my 5' x 30" tank and insisted on 3/4" I ended up getting it Eurobraced, so I'm kindof shocked at the OP's tank.

Lawpoke87

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All of RedSeas and WaterBox rimless tanks 5' or longer are 3/4". Would think that would be the industry standard.

Silver14SS

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks guys, I will definitely call the builder tmw, and figure how could this be fixed, may be adding eurobracing, would that be an option?

Who built it?
If you want eurobracing that may be an option to repair it. if you ordered a rimless tank, still want a rimless tank, and relied on the builders expertise to spec the materials, you can always tell them to make a new rimless tank that won't bow :)

OP
OP
kirinreef

kirinreef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a 0.4 inch bowing when the tank was filled. Now I have drained tank and asked the builder to come to my house to add top euro bracing, hopefully it will prevent it from bowing. However, the builder says 0.4 inch bowing is ok, his own tank has bowing for 10 years and never had any problems.

mrpizzaface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a 0.4 inch bowing when the tank was filled. Now I have drained tank and asked the builder to come to my house to add top euro bracing, hopefully it will prevent it from bowing. However, the builder says 0.4 inch bowing is ok, his own tank has bowing for 10 years and never had any problems.
It’s is absolutely not ok. Some bowing with acrylic is normal, but is unacceptable with glass. At minimum I would want the whole tank disassembled and re sealed before the eurobracing is added.

Back