Custom diy aquarium plus sump. Getting way to many bubbles and every few seconds huge volcano like bubbles lol it’s overflowing and slowly leaking.

Reefering1

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what's happening here? Are all these sponge and filter floss?

1695165184591.png
Ill take a guess, See what had happened was...
he was burning one and was concerned about dropping the blunt in the water while working on the plumbing. This way there is some chance of it not getting too wet if he did drop it..
Sorry, I had to. I'll leave you guys to it now

Tuan’s Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
he was burning one and was concerned about dropping the blunt in the water while working on the plumbing. This way there is some chance of it not getting too wet if he did drop it..

This thread definitely deserves the Emergency tag.

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
" Triple siliconed it over a few weeks time cause silicone seams were huge let it cure plenty after some more praying did some testing Ran outa silicone cause it was a mess. "
Just an FYI, putting new silicone over old silicone is not a good idea. The new silicone will not properly adhere to the old. So basically if the initial seam is bad laying more silicone over the top is not a permanent solution. Yeah it might hold temporarily, but not worth risking over long periods of time.

EDIT: Based on what I am hearing my honest opinion is that you should take the tank down and either completely rebuild it, or buy a more premade set up. Especially given the current setup continues to leak. And especially considering your housing could be in jeopardy (based on what you said earlier). Does not need to be off the shelf, buying rimmed tanks drilling/plumbing is a fine options as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your tank is 2x2x6 like you said each 1" drop in water is about 8-9 gallons. As you mentioned your sump is only 20 gallons total so if it's more than 1/2 full running your going to have water on the floor if your return pump stops. Not trying to be mean but your system really needs some design help from a professional before you flood your apartment.
That’s why I have you guys. And praying seems to work only minor leaks this time so far. Experience kicks in lol All jokes aside will test exact level and mark it. Couldn’t afford a huge aquarium with sump so during corona it kept me busy. Ever since I was a kid I loved taking toys apart and see how they work. So I’m kinda weird maybe to I dunno)

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s why I have you guys. And praying seems to work only minor leaks this time so far. Experience kicks in lol All jokes aside will test exact level and mark it. Couldn’t afford a huge aquarium with sump so during corona it kept me busy. Ever since I was a kid I loved taking toys apart and see how they work. So I’m kinda weird maybe to I dunno)
Get a good picture of your return (inside the tank) and I may be able to help you create a siphon break.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you explain what's happening here? Are all these sponge and filter floss?

1695165184591.png
My sump 1.0 I threw some toy stuffing material to help to clear out water, hopefully tomorrow I’ll finish tweaking 2.0 and post it. It’s decided I’m going sockless. Gonna install my paper roller filter with skimmer and need to create another partition next to pipes for filter pads and toy stuffing cheap material so I can just replace it every few days. Big 1/4 inch holes did the trick 1/8 was spitting water like a fountain lol thanks guys)
Tested my back flow up to the rim almost after shutting off pump.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In this picture , i see there isn't a syphon happening at all. There's several style of drain but i don't see one on this box other than several holes at the bottom
Supposed to be bean animal. I removed a 4 inch long pipe that’s supposed to be in first pipe inside overflow which is shortest so it can be a loud alarm.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Supposed to be bean animal. I removed a 4 inch long pipe that’s supposed to be in first pipe inside overflow which is shortest so it can be a loud alarm.
Placed it back now. Will send new pics once it starts looking better. It’s a nightmare now. But it’s my Frankenstein and I love it. As far as a hazard yes. Will post more details and pics of aquarium maybe there is hope to keep it. As of now I got no options for new one so more praying in order) thanks guys you rock. At least I’m not overflowing from my sump volcano erruptions. Yay to dry floors again. And sorry again for emergency thing I was just panicking as y’all can tell I got my reasons :)

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Gonna install my paper roller filter with skimmer and need to create another partition next to pipes for filter pads and toy stuffing cheap material
Why all 3? Stick with the roller filter OR filter socks. The filter pads and stuffing is going to be more work and expense than a handful of filter socks that you can wash and reuse. Not to mention some of the poly toy stuffing can contain other stuff like fire retardants and chemicals that you do not want in your aquarium. Really is not a good filter material for a properly setup saltwater aquarium.

Also does your landlord know that you have an aquarium of that size in your apartment? IF that thing fails and it is against your lease you could have a large lawsuit on your hands. I just hope you had aproval to set that thing up first!

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you’re really scaring me. I didn’t know you need approval from landlord. As far as damage goes if anything I’m responsible regardless. Any attorneys here or ppl who were in similar position. I’m in New York. Also laws are different in different states

Jamie814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I didn’t know you need approval from landlord.
Not saying you do, but I would read you lease closely. Many do not allow aquariums, especially large ones, let alone large DIY ones. From a landlord's perspective I would not be happy about it and make them remove the aquarium or find a new place to live. Thousands of dollars in damage or building fire could occur should the thing break and spill hundreds of gallons of saltwater into the walls, flooring and wiring.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Now you’re really scaring me. I didn’t know you need approval from landlord. As far as damage goes if anything I’m responsible regardless. Any attorneys here or ppl who were in similar position. I’m in New York. Also laws are different in different states
Good thing is I have 6 extra tubes of silicone due to Amazon delays… so maybe i will buy 1/2 glass and do a Beautiful one rimless with someone assisting, maybe wider or deeper. But the amount of work needs to be done It’s insane. Maybe someone here can shed some more light on my Frankenstein silicone work. I’ll take a pic of bubbles in one of my corner seams. Maybe we can calculate my risk somehow. But I also have 4 inch strips of 3/8 thick glass all surrounded the bottom and top of aquarium. I believe it’s called euro brace. Also 8 inch front to back up top in the middle. And I threw few more extra pieces on top for safety don’t look very pretty but once I close it up with doors should look awesome. Bottom sliding ikea glass doors, top one big 12x 72 door on Lyft mechanism hinges. My friend does cabinets so he helpes me with custom doors since it’s pain in the butt aligning and drilling hinges. Anyway hopefully all goes well.
Forgot to say aluminum is just to make it pretty. But I did silicone it as well. Underneath is yoga mat to relieve stress to glass. Also all is level. So not all so terrible. Just a few big oopsies lol

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying you do, but I would read you lease closely. Many do not allow aquariums, especially large ones, let alone large DIY ones. From a landlord's perspective I would not be happy about it and make them remove the aquarium or find a new place to live. Thousands of dollars in damage or building fire could occur should the thing break and spill hundreds of gallons of saltwater into the walls, flooring and wiring.
Yup it sure is scary

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good thing is I have 6 extra tubes of silicone due to Amazon delays… so maybe i will buy 1/2 glass and do a Beautiful one rimless with someone assisting, maybe wider or deeper. But the amount of work needs to be done It’s insane. Maybe someone here can shed some more light on my Frankenstein silicone work. I’ll take a pic of bubbles in one of my corner seams. Maybe we can calculate my risk somehow. But I also have 4 inch strips of 3/8 thick glass all surrounded the bottom and top of aquarium. I believe it’s called euro brace. Also 8 inch front to back up top in the middle. And I threw few more extra pieces on top for safety don’t look very pretty but once I close it up with doors should look awesome. Bottom sliding ikea glass doors, top one big 12x 72 door on Lyft mechanism hinges. My friend does cabinets so he helpes me with custom doors since it’s pain in the butt aligning and drilling hinges. Anyway hopefully all goes well.
I am really not trying to be a buzz kill but your risk is HIGH! Based on what you are saying the tank is not built properly and is a disaster waiting to happen. You are putting your housing situation at risk, your neighbors housing at risk, and any livestock you plan on keeping at risk.

You are talking about buying all new 1/2 glass, which is not cheap, why not buy a rimmed tank? Heck a used tank is probably a safer option.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am really not trying to be a buzz kill but your risk is HIGH! Based on what you are saying the tank is not built properly and is a disaster waiting to happen. You are putting your housing situation at risk, your neighbors housing at risk, and any livestock you plan on keeping at risk.

You are talking about buying all new 1/2 glass, which is not cheap, why not buy a rimmed tank? Heck a used tank is probably a safer option.
Should I make a new thread for my questionable aquarium silicone work or ok to continue here? I got so confident after my first one maybe. My first one went smooth since I had plenty of time to research and my neighbor was assisting me holding glass and pushing silicone evenly in 1/8 gaps. This time it was nothing like it by myself with wood and tape…aquarium silicone dries super fast Will continue to look for help. While researching on bad diy aquarium jobs. Thank you

Last edited:
OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are talking about buying all new 1/2 glass, which is not cheap, why not buy a rimmed tank? Heck a used tank is probably a safer option
Lots to think about if I don’t get some reassurance on my silicone work after I post some pics tomorrow. Sight thanks

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hahaha

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah all by myself unfortunately. First one I had help and correct sizes. This one during install I realized my sizes were wrong. My panels were sliding away from me so created some bubbles between glass in a few places. Which is a big no no. I was praying during the whole build for it to be ok. Triple siliconed it over a few weeks time cause silicone seams were huge let it cure plenty after some more praying did some testing Ran outa silicone cause it was a mess. Shoulda made a video prolly could’ve been famous lol Lights prolly won’t work great cause I have 4 inch brace all along the top edges and a few across in the middle. But I have 3 kessel a360x
And some other lights I’ve never tried yet. Plus going for easy corals nothing extreme fingers crossed again. Back to sump drawing board. I’m thinking to have water come down over several layers of cheap filter pads of different thickness placed over egg crate. And just replacing every few days. Saw on utube a bunch of ppl using skimmers, and roller mats without socks. Im really tempted. I have bubble Magnus paper roller and coral sea medium skimmer ( I think, been a few years).
Silicone don’t stick to silicone so that tank is held together by your original bead…laying multiple beads over 3 weeks didn’t accomplish anything… hate to say it man but that’s a disaster waiting to happen.. I wish you the best.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%

Back