Custom diy aquarium plus sump. Getting way to many bubbles and every few seconds huge volcano like bubbles lol it’s overflowing and slowly leaking.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Now you’re really scaring me. I didn’t know you need approval from landlord. As far as damage goes if anything I’m responsible regardless. Any attorneys here or ppl who were in similar position. I’m in New York. Also laws are different in different states
You usually need permission - and you also need to notify your rental insurance - since many policies do not cover damage from tank leakage, unless discussed and specifically in the policy. The permission is most important when your apartment is not on the ground floor.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You usually need permission - and you also need to notify your rental insurance - since many policies do not cover damage from tank leakage, unless discussed and specifically in the policy. The permission is most important when your apartment is not on the ground
Hopefully I did all my mistakes already and from here should be smooth sailing. Thanks for all advice but I slept on it, took a few more looks and I think it should be holding water just fine. Special aquarium silicone is extremely strong. Fingers crossed since going back to drawing board is a mission and a half plus very costly

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hopefully I did all my mistakes already and from here should be smooth sailing. Thanks for all advice but I slept on it, took a few more looks and I think it should be holding water just fine. Special aquarium silicone is extremely strong. Fingers crossed since going back to drawing board is a mission and a half plus very costly
I am not recommending that you do anything differently except taking some of the recommendations offered. However the point someone else made about your apartment and what's allowed and what's not is a very valid comment. Of course, it's your choice. Best wishes with the tank, etc.

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Silicone don’t stick to silicone so that tank is held together by your original bead…laying multiple beads over 3 weeks didn’t accomplish anything… hate to say it man but that’s a disaster waiting to happen.. I wish you the best.
Silicone don’t stick to silicone so that tank is held together by your original bead…laying multiple beads over 3 weeks didn’t accomplish anything… hate to say it man but that’s a disaster waiting to happen.. I wish you the best.
Crossed my mind several times. I’ll build a new one with assistant this time and hopefully I can set this one up in the basement later on as a big sump)

OP
OP
Alexz

Alexz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not recommending that you do anything differently except taking some of the recommendations offered. However the point someone else made about your apartment and what's allowed and what's not is a very valid comment. Of course, it's your choice. Best wishes with the tank, etc.
Thanks guys

robotrash

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll just be blunt (pun intended), you gotta take that thing down and rethink it. Please do more research for what is required in saltwater aquaria, especially filtration. Consider purchasing a tank or completely redoing this one. Multiple people have attempted to highlight the issues here but you seem to be blowing past it.

The seams are not good. If you've got such aggressive bubbles in the first layer of silicone, you're just sitting on a water time bomb. The other reality is that you won't be able to DIY the animals, feeding, testing, and other important aspects, it's an unfortunately expensive hobby and you're putting all of that at risk with this setup.

Lastly, a tank this size should really have the placement over the flooring considered to ensure the load is held properly, this is a rental nightmare imo.

I know we try to be supportive and accommodating here but this tank is a bad time waiting to happen. That will be all I say on the matter as I don't want to draw it out any further.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 22.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 68 34.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 31.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back