Custom Glass Lid

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bear Claw
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bear Claw

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 16, 2021
Messages
501
Reaction score
188
Location
Raleigh, North Carolina
What state or country do you live in
North Carolina
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 32.5 gallon reef tank with a mesh lid and am looking for a glass lid cause it evaporates a lot of water into my room and has made it very humid. The dimensions are 32.5 in by 14 in. If there's no brands that make glass lids that would fit that size, would I be able to make a custom plexiglass or glass lid? Thank you!!!
 
I have 32.5 gallon reef tank with a mesh lid and am looking for a glass lid cause it evaporates a lot of water into my room and has made it very humid. The dimensions are 32.5 in by 14 in. If there's no brands that make glass lids that would fit that size, would I be able to make a custom plexiglass or glass lid? Thank you!!!
I have a 90 without lid and humidity isn't bad from it. Covering the tank completely will cut in on gas exchange also.
 
That said, plexiglass would be the best option. Can buy and get everything needed to shape from home depot
 
You can make your own lid out of acrylic. Measure what size you need and go to the hardware store. Make it bit oversize. You can glue on small blocks on the underside to keep it from moving. The heat from your lights will distort the lid if placed too close.
You can also have a glass co cut you a piece of glass.
 
After Careful Measuring, and using an Aqueon Hinge, and Back-Strip on scraps of glass. I took my Measurements to a couple of local glass shops. They made custom glass tops for an odd size 30 Gallon, 65 Gallon, Oceanic 29 Biocube and Three Tops for Custom Covers for my 120 Gallon. The Biocube was taken to the Glass Shop, along with the Hinge and Back-strip. They perfectly matched the Front Curve. All glass has a nice bevel on it. Prices were comprisable to mass produced tops.
 
I used toplids and have an evaporator panel as well.
4BB1B053-47B4-482F-A4BC-2AE5DE67AB09.jpeg
 
That said, plexiglass would be the best option. Can buy and get everything needed to shape from home depot
So If I was to make a plexiglass lid, how could I help with gas exchange? Thank you!!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new