Custom Light fixture using Kessils

Cwentz758

Do you even Reef bro?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m in the planning stage of upgrading to a shallow 60x24x18 tank. I want to keep things clean and minimalist. It’s going to have a custom oak stand stained to match the furniture in the current room. But here’s my catch. I don’t want to mount a T5 hybrid light over the tank, and I really don’t think I want to mount arms on the back of the rimless tank. I’m thinking do something like this!
D2E281C2-6CE2-4B5B-B573-C5C76EE5675B.jpeg

Since the kessil lights don’t have a giant plug on them I can run the electric wire up the mounting wire and to the top.
This also leaves a few other questions.
1. do I use the daisy chain plugs and have an extra wire running up and down to the lights. Or do I run them alone.
2. do I use the kessil 360x’s that look more like a puck or the 360w-e’s which look more cylinder like.
3. Do I run the wires into the metal tubing then down inside the wall...

Thoughts on this? Pros cons? I’m a ways out from this upgrade so you won’t hurt my feelings.

I was planning on going with the Tuna Blue light, with the tank having some SPS but not dominated.

kput

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Find a friend that is an electrician. Have him make up a wire casing that has the support wire, electrical, and signal wire all in the same sleeve. Shouldn't be too terribly hard to accomplish, or overly expensive if you're already spending hundreds on the lights and will look way cleaner.

2. I think the 360x's would look a lot better. The puck lights are just too small.

3. I think you'd have to use a specific type of metal conduit? I'm sure there's some sort of code that has to be followed on that, I don't know the answer lol

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 64 31.5%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 53 26.1%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back