Custom sump help

T-J

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all of this can work. Not my first choice, but yes, you can do this.
FYI, that pump is rated at 400gph with a 6 ft head max. If you have your tanks over each other and on a stand, you'll be somewhere around 4 feet of head. You'll get nowhere near 400gph at that point.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the tank isnt running right now, you are better off drilling the tank and using a regular overflow box. The hang on back or hob (i dont think anyone says hang on side, lol) overflow box you were looking at is probably one I would go with if I had to add on to an existing tank because it looks like you can attach a toms aqualifter or similar pump to the hob overflow so the siphon doesnt break. The thing I always worry about with this is if the hob overflow box does lose siphon like in a power outage, when power turns back on the return pump will add too much water to the tank and you will have to deal with saltwater on the floor in your home

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, all of this can work. Not my first choice, but yes, you can do this.
FYI, that pump is rated at 400gph with a 6 ft head max. If you have your tanks over each other and on a stand, you'll be somewhere around 4 feet of head. You'll get nowhere near 400gph at that point.
would you recommend a different return pump?

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if the tank isnt running right now, you are better off drilling the tank and using a regular overflow box. The hang on back or hob (i dont think anyone says hang on side, lol) overflow box you were looking at is probably one I would go with if I had to add on to an existing tank because it looks like you can attach a toms aqualifter or similar pump to the hob overflow so the siphon doesnt break. The thing I always worry about with this is if the hob overflow box does lose siphon like in a power outage, when power turns back on the return pump will add too much water to the tank and you will have to deal with saltwater on the floor in your home
yes, the tank is going right now. Even if it was empty I don't feel comfortable drilling through glass. 1 mistake and I lose the tank.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
would you recommend a different return pump?
so many options there, probably the lowest cost but still widely used and works fine would be jebao pumps. For these dc pumps i get the largest size that fits and adjust the flow using the controller. idk if tj knows any lower priced ones that are trusted but these are about the lowest priced ones that i still feel relatively safe recommending

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes, the tank is going right now. Even if it was empty I don't feel comfortable drilling through glass. 1 mistake and I lose the tank.
in that case i would just check with any glass shops nearby, they can usually cut a hole for you for cheap, just need usually 1 or 2 holes max for any of these overflows. a siphon break is something that can happen at anytime and is a much more costly mistake when it does, especially if you have carpet or wood floors nearby

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in that case i would just check with any glass shops nearby, they can usually cut a hole for you for cheap, just need usually 1 or 2 holes max for any of these overflows. a siphon break is something that can happen at anytime and is a much more costly mistake when it does, especially if you have carpet or wood floors nearby
I could add a switch like for an auto top-off, for the return pump, that way if the water gets too high the return will turn off.

dedragon

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not a bad idea at all, did the same when i ran one, but imo really no point as it would be just as cheap to pay for a hole to be cut. hob overflows arent the best in general, i havent used one in over 15 years but i remember it was hard to keep the water levels from fluctuating in the wet/dry filter (old sump tech), which wasnt the best for a skimmer. they arent terrible but if you have the option to not do an hob overflow, i strongly recommend not to just too many headaches

OP
OP
Knight420

Knight420

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thats not a bad idea at all, did the same when i ran one, but imo really no point as it would be just as cheap to pay for a hole to be cut. hob overflows arent the best in general, i havent used one in over 15 years but i remember it was hard to keep the water levels from fluctuating in the wet/dry filter (old sump tech), which wasnt the best for a skimmer. they arent terrible but if you have the option to not do an hob overflow, i strongly recommend not to just too many headaches
little late since it already has water, fish and coral. I will just stick with my current drop in sump. It works fine, I was just trying to see if I could make more room. since I have a 10g laying around. I think I will do that with the next set up. Thank you.

Clear reef vision: How do you clean the inside of the glass on your aquarium?

• Razor blade

Votes: 154 61.4%
  • Plastic scraper

Votes: 68 27.1%
  • Clean-up crew

Votes: 88 35.1%
  • Magic eraser

Votes: 43 17.1%
  • Other

Votes: 67 26.7%
Back