Custom sump question

OutsideBrian

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I got this one what's up with the cut out slits on some of the acrylic sections?

The clear piece far left allows water out of that chamber after going through filter socks.
The middle one as mentioned allows water to flow to the next section. I’ve actually stuck a piece of Lexan blocking them to make it have to flow over the wall. I was getting bubbles from my skimmer discharge into the next section which I use as a refugium.

OP
OP
Bruce7267ad

Bruce7267ad

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The clear piece far left allows water out of that chamber after going through filter socks.
The middle one as mentioned allows water to flow to the next section. I’ve actually stuck a piece of Lexan blocking them to make it have to flow over the wall. I was getting bubbles from my skimmer discharge into the next section which I use as a refugium.
So your order is skimmer then refugium then return pump?

Pntbll687

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So your order is skimmer then refugium then return pump?

The order doesn't really matter, it's going to be whatever you prefer. Some people like the refugium first so the skimmer doesn't "remove" any nutrients that it could use, others will put the skimmer 1st too increase the size of the fuge section as much as possible.

But in the long run it really doesn't matter because filtration is an ongoing process. It's not like water enters the sump "dirty" and goes up the return pump "clean".

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 25.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 48 33.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 12 8.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.8%
Back