Cut torch head while fragging, will it survive?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Bob2bob
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

Bob2bob

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Apr 25, 2018
Messages
149
Reaction score
125
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was cutting frags today, and while I mostly did ok, I accidentally messed up while cutting a torch. On one of the heads, I ended up cutting right through the head. The tips are still out and it doesn't look super bad but I don't know what to do, my gut says its a goner for sure ;Sorry.

Is it def a goner? Or should I risk putting it back in the tank in the hopes it survives? I'm concerned that it will release toxins and mess with the other corals/fish in the tank. I have plenty of frags of it left so itll grow back but if i can save it id like to
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.01.25 PM.png
 
I was cutting frags today, and while I mostly did ok, I accidentally messed up while cutting a torch. On one of the heads, I ended up cutting right through the head. The tips are still out and it doesn't look super bad but I don't know what to do, my gut says its a goner for sure ;Sorry.

Is it def a goner? Or should I risk putting it back in the tank in the hopes it survives? I'm concerned that it will release toxins and mess with the other corals/fish in the tank. I have plenty of frags of it left so itll grow back but if i can save it id like to
Screen Shot 2020-05-31 at 9.01.25 PM.png
I've seen some torches put back together and secured with a rubber band when their skeletons break.....does it work long term, I do not know.

However yours is split with mouth and guts out and I have never seen that before.

I wish i had more experience with fragging...i wish you the best and I'm following to learn something.
 
Oof.. That looks pretty bad, but we all make mistakes. If it were me I would just remove it for fear of rot or brown jelly. Hopefully someone here has a better solution, but if it were me I wouldn't risk it.
 
thanks for the quick responses @MERKEY and @DrufusReef. As of now i'm keeping it out, as i agree that the fear of brown jelly is not worth it unless someone else has any thoughts to the contrary.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 3 21.4%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 7 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new