Cutting anemones?

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I've been looking for a CSB anemone and found an online vendor that had a ridiculously good price on them, about what you would pay from another reefer. I seen in the description 2 week healing time though which threw me off. I contacted the vendor via email and asked about this and they told me they usually cut their nems to fill orders but they actually currently have 5 in stock so they would be able to ship immediately. I resonded questioning this method because I've never heard of cutting nems for propagation, only them splitting naturally. I also asked about the condition of its foot and if they could provide pictures of the CSB they are selling instead of the thumbnail on their site. Im kinda leary especially with spending that type of money on a BTA. Well 2 days later and never heard back from them. I looked up reviews of their company and there are a multiple very bad experiences with them from members on here. Glad I looked into it more, honestly kinda relieved they didnt email me back.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see what the long term survival rate is with anemones propogated by cutting instead of letting them split naturally. My guess is it would be a lot lower than natural splits. Thanks for posting your experiences!

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd like to see what the long term survival rate is with anemones propogated by cutting instead of letting them split naturally. My guess is it would be a lot lower than natural splits. Thanks for posting your experiences!
I'm sure it's much lower than a natural split. And on a BTA most vendors charge 1k for I wouldn't even think of attempting it.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shouldnt be any different than fragging...
Or cloning a plant....

Edit: quick google search says cloned plants dont live as long so i guess there is some validity to the claim :)

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or cloning a plant....

Edit: quick google search says cloned plants dont live as long so i guess there is some validity to the claim :)

Sorry, but I'd say it's very different than fragging which certainly does kill many of the polyps (individual animals) where a coral is broken or cut. I'd also question if the anology to plants apply as corals are a lot more complex being phototrophs or mixotrophs with both animal and plant living mutualisticly.

OP
OP
Funston07

Funston07

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or cloning a plant....

I guess its just a practice I've never heard of so it threw me off when they told me that they cut them. It made me curious of the method. Glad I didnt go with the vendor though after researching them. Not saying it cant be done but after seeing their track record with shipping issues and customer service I would have very little faith in purchasing a CSB from them and trusting it get to me healthy.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fragged nems with no issues. 2-3 weeks healing time, don't try and feed them, and keep them isolated from clowns.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's a common practice. I'm not a fan though.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've fragged nems with no issues. 2-3 weeks healing time, don't try and feed them, and keep them isolated from clowns.

What's the survival rate at 3 months, 6 months and a year compared to natural splits? How long does it take for a cut anemone to grow enough to split naturally compared to one that has been allowed split naturally to begin with? And maybe most importantly how does the microbiome of anemones reproduced by cutting compared to anemones that have been allowed to split naturally? What are the differences in the immune systems between clones lines? If there are differences (like this paper shows with Acropora millipora) how do the differences in immune response factor in survival with both forced splitting and natural splitting? Until we know these answers and know why some of the clone lines need antibiotics to survive I going to stick with just natural split anemones.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's the survival rate at 3 months, 6 months and a year compared to natural splits? How long does it take for a cut anemone to grow enough to split naturally compared to one that has been allowed split naturally to begin with? And maybe most importantly how does the microbiome of anemones reproduced by cutting compared to anemones that have been allowed to split naturally? What are the differences in the immune systems between clones lines? If there are differences (like this paper shows with Acropora millipora) how do the differences in immune response factor in survival with both forced splitting and natural splitting? Until we know these answers and know why some of the clone lines need antibiotics to survive I going to stick with just natural split anemones.
Never lost one. Had them for years after. Can't answer the other questions.

Mike konesky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Send me some fancy ones and I'd be happy to chop them in half. Will let you know how it goes.

Lovefish77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would think it is very common practice for vendors who sell small cookie cutter size. If you have nems that split on you naturally, you will notice it is very hard to get the same size nem with every split if you know what I mean.

Plus a vendor who makes a lot of money they cant wait until they split on their own.
Another thing to say that affects results is how hardy your nem is and how long have you been keeping that specific strain. That is key I think.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Hello not speaking for the vendor at all but I cut csb very often my thought is that it’s a more assisted way then them naturally ripping it self in half me cutting it just takes less time and on my time a lot of people say nems split when they aren’t happy but seen nems split also when they are happy. But I don’t sell a cut nem until the mouth is completly centered usually about 1 month But I usually don’t sell till 2 months not trying to brag or anything but I’ve only had 3 nems not making it from cutting and at the current state have about 12 csbs from cutting so probably have cut over 50 nems. Thru out my 4 years of having a csb hope this helps

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello not speaking for the vendor at all but I cut csb very often my thought is that it’s a more assisted way then them naturally ripping it self in half me cutting it just takes less time and on my time a lot of people say nems split when they aren’t happy but seen nems split also when they are happy. But I don’t sell a cut nem until the mouth is completly centered usually about 1 month But I usually don’t sell till 2 months not trying to brag or anything but I’ve only had 3 nems not making it from cutting and at the current state have about 12 csbs from cutting so probably have cut over 50 nems. Thru out my 4 years of having a csb hope this helps
My csb was very hardy and responded well to cutting. It was a cut itself when i bought it.
The only time i lost one was when i experimented with cutting one into 4 and ended up losing two small quarters.
I think it was too small and didnt get the correct portion of foot and mouth that it needed.

Tegridy Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
My csb was very hardy and responded well to cutting. It was a cut itself when i bought it.
The only time i lost one was when i experimented with cutting one into 4 and ended up losing two small quarters.
I think it was too small and didnt get the correct portion of foot and mouth that it needed.

BillsReef10

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I did this and cut in half one side survived and is back to full size before cut, the other seemed to turn black and I pulled it before it died off completely

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 34.0%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 18.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 4 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 10.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 14 28.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.0%
Back