Cutting glass

haanstang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm taking apart a 125 that leaks and changing the dimensions from 72"x18"x24" to 72"x30"x24" i have some glass from a different tank that I'm going to use for the sides.
I have cut plenty of glass in the past but never 1/2" thick.
Is it the same as thinner glass or should I score both sides. Thanks in advance

Big G

captain dunsel
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to a local glass company. They have the proper equipment to cut thick glass. That's what my LFS did under similar circumstances. I've stood there and watched them do it for him.

Rip Van Winkle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Take it to a local glass company. They have the proper equipment to cut thick glass. That's what my LFS did under similar circumstances. I've stood there and watched them do it for him.

IMHO, I agree with this. Another point is that cutting it is not the end of the job. The edges should be completely flat and your local glass shop will be able to make that happen. You want them flat to maximize the contact surface so that the silicone will have the maximum grip. My 2 cents would be that you will need two people to do this. When you put the tank together, make sure there are no air bubbles in the silicone where the edges make contact.
With 30" sides, your tank absolutely needs bracing.
Nice project and more power to you.

David Mc

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had some glass reworked at a local shop and he only charged me $20. He did the edges and everything

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 7.8%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 17.2%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 174 68.0%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.3%
Back