Cutting Magic Carpet Mushroom

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have 2 magic carpet mushrooms that are about 3"-4" across. I was contemplating cutting 1 to sell it off to buy an OG Bounce. However, I've never cut a mushroom before. I've watched numerous videos but I'm still a little apprehensive.

Do you have to get part of the mouth when you cut? What if you miss? What about the foot? What if you just cut a small chunk off, will it make it? Is it like a nem, where it will create its own mouth & foot?

Thanks for any input.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can cut most mushrooms anywhere and theyll eventually form a new mouth.

The key to success is make sure whatever you cut, you get a piece of the foot still attached to the plug.
I score the plug or rock with a dremel directly under the foot and then cut thru the plug or rock first. Then delicately seperate the tissue with scalpel. If its a bounce, carefully cut around the bubbles.

20200127_110943.jpg 20200127_110935.jpg 20200217_121614.jpg 20200131_075050.jpg

OP
OP
B

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these 2 aren't on a plug, that are on a rock. Figured I'd have to break the rock loose to be able to cut them. They are kind of on either side of the rock, so I haven't gotten up close to see how close the foot is on each, but it isn't going to be easy to cut them. I may see if I can break 1 off by itself and see what I see.

Saltyreef

I'm not your dad...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So these 2 aren't on a plug, that are on a rock. Figured I'd have to break the rock loose to be able to cut them. They are kind of on either side of the rock, so I haven't gotten up close to see how close the foot is on each, but it isn't going to be easy to cut them. I may see if I can break 1 off by itself and see what I see.
If its on liverock, sometimes its easier. And especially if you just wanna bust them loose for now.
Youll want to remove the whole thing and chizzel around them with a flat blade screwdriver to see if you can seperate.
Unless you have a dremel tool you can incorperate to make vertical slits around it and then bust them loose with a twist from the flat blade.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 22 32.4%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 6 8.8%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 5 7.4%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 17 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.5%
Back