Cutting out Overflow and Trimming it shorter

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, long story (check my build thread, and other posts for parts of it), but I'm looking to cut out the acrylic internal overflow from my tank and then make it shorter to drop the waterline below a crack (part of the story)...

What should I look out for? Any tools needed? Will the acrylic cut ok on my table saw? I know I need aquarium safe silicone. Anything else?

The internal overflow tower is acrylic attached to the back wall which is glass.

BlennyTime

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Table saw should work fine.

Silicone doesn’t really bond to acrylic very well, but you can probably build up around it enough to keep it in place. That might be the tricky part.

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Table saw should work fine.

Silicone doesn’t really bond to acrylic very well, but you can probably build up around it enough to keep it in place. That might be the tricky part.
ok, I checked it this afternoon and looks like it's siliconed in place. definitely understand the need to clean off all the current silicone from the overflow and back glass.

Sucks to take my 90 down to a 65 but it's easier than replacing the front glass. at least until I can convince my wife to let me by another tank.

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 20 31.3%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 52 81.3%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 10 15.6%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 10.9%
  • Other

Votes: 3 4.7%
Back