The 90g that was supposed to be a 75g

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Lead In
Hey all, I'm moving up in the world. I've been running a 10g FOWLR that's got a bunch of HOB equipment (was supposed to be a reef tank, but I can't keep the water right in such a small tank). Well back in January I put an order in at my LFS for a 75g tank w/sump and stand. Fast forward 3 months and the world is shut down, the build is about a month behind schedule, and I'm itching to get water in something I don't have yet. So when I got the call from my LFS that "tank is in" I was excited to say the least.

I got to the LFS saw my tank and stand and noticed it seemed a little larger than the 36x20x24 I had ordered. Also noticed that the overflow was centered instead of in the corner and there was only 1 drain (2") and 1 return (3/4"). I asked "are you sure this is my tank? I thought we had talked about 2 (1") drains, and 2 (3/4") returns?" I was told "yeah, that's your tank. It's how we do all of our builds". Any ways I took it home because I was excited... Got home and the wife took one look at it and said "it's too big!!! That's not what we talked about!" I said "no it's not, it's 36x20x24." A tape measure use later and... nope it's 36x24x24. Now normally this wouldn't be that big of a deal, but I need the 20" depth so that it would fit exactly in an alcove that we currently have the 10g in.

Notice I hadn't mentioned the sump yet? yeah... basically they forgot to make it... and told me that there is no way we would have sold you a tank, stand, and sump for the price we did. it's $100 more for the sump. "sure, whatever I need one of those to make it work..." I said. After it went down about the size with my wife and a few phone calls with the LFS later I was getting the sump for free as long as I kept the tank (should be here tomorrow, I hope).

Anyways, on to the gear...
Return Pump: Generic 1k DC pump
Powerhead: 4K Gyre from IceCap
Rock: 60lbs of uncured Marco Rock + 10lbs cured rock from my 10g
Lights: 1 AI Prime HD (will be 3 total once my tax return comes In)
Filtration: Filter sock for now. Planning on an Algae Scrubber + (maybe) protein skimmer

Livestock:
Have:
2 clowns (from 10g)

Want:
2 Yellow tangs
1 mandarin
2 Lawnmower blenny
Flame Angel
2-4 diamond Goby
2-4 Firefish Goby
Any thing else you might put in here?

Corals:
Not 100% sure yet, but no SPS.

Full tank Stand Shot.JPG

Tank only.jpg

Dr. Phil

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nice looking tank! Always good to get a larger tank for the same money imo. Haha 2 Yellow Tangs might be a little much for a tank this size.

I look forward to seeing more as you put your build together!

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. I have been waiting on my new one too. They are behind do too glass delivery. First date to be sent out was before Corona, then mid April, then mid May and now it has been pushed to end of May. Good luck with it! BTW I don't think you can put one tang in it. They need at least 6' straight distance to swim

jeffrey750750

Reefin in the slow lane
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like my marineland stand on my 60 cube. One little tiny door. I see wood in your picture which makes me believe you know what your doing. I would reinforce that stand internally and make a door on one side or both. Trust me, you'll wish you had access down the road

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like my marineland stand on my 60 cube. One little tiny door. I see wood in your picture which makes me believe you know what your doing. I would reinforce that stand internally and make a door on one side or both. Trust me, you'll wish you had access down the road
It's braced with 2x4s on the corners. I trust the stand, the LFS has all custom tanks in their shop built by one builder.

Good idea on the side door though I've been toying with that one.

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the return plumbing done in the tank. It's all dry fit now. I used SS clamps with the intention of changing them out to plastic when the shipping times cool down.
Return Plumbing.jpg

Also what do you think of the aquascape? I've got Marco 400 coming (was supposed to be today). Salt's here, RO/DI unit is as well. hoping to have water in it this weekend if the sump actually shows up.

Left View Aquascape.jpg

Front View Aquascape.jpg

Right View Aquascape.jpg

It should come about 1/2 way up.

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Congrats on the new tank. I have been waiting on my new one too. They are behind do too glass delivery. First date to be sent out was before Corona, then mid April, then mid May and now it has been pushed to end of May. Good luck with it! BTW I don't think you can put one tang in it. They need at least 6' straight distance to swim
Does the rest of the livestock look good? any adjustments you'd make?

bitwise

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not as robust, but I think you could get away with heavy duty zip ties instead of the stainless clamps

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well moved the tank in place last night. added the gyre 4k, temp prob for the ink bird, the heater, and return pump are all in place.

Made the deposit on the 2 AI Prime's at my LFS and the 3rd is still on the 10g I moved to make room for this beast.

Tonight I cement my aqua scape. by Friday hopefully water.

IMG_2478.jpg

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry there haven't been any updates. I started cycling and 2 weeks in the tank cracked. the LFS told me I was SOL. so it sits in my living room. With no job and no working tank I'm back to my 10g with 2 clowns. Really frustrating. looks like I'm out about 1k.

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Update: My wife finally broke down and told me to patch it. I ordered a 6"x8"x3/8" piece of glass today. should be in tomorrow. Also ordered a tube of aquarium safe silicone from BRS and the final hanging kit for my AI Primes. This is actually going to happen.

After talking with Joe over at Glass Cages I think I've got a plan. Basically going to "glue" the piece right over the crack on the inside of the tank. that high up the pressure shouldn't be an issue and attaching to the inside any pressure will help keep it tight. Either way I hope to have water in it by Halloween.

If it does crack further I'm only out the silicone and the glass (besides the tank itself) :( based on where it its I also should not experience a blow out. so it will be a ok. Or at least that's what I'm telling myself. If it all works out I'll run the tank till my daughters off to college and then see what happens then.

Wish me luck I'll post more on around the 20th when the silicone comes in.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Congrats on the new tank!

OP
OP
TragicDog

TragicDog

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@TragicDog Good luck on the patch! Are you working again? The IT market here in the NYC tristate area is full speed ahead.
I'm not sure if I am, got a job offer just haven't started... I got a verbal start date (Monday) with a local school district to be a Theatre Operations Technician (I've got almost 25yrs in live production, 5+ yrs in IT) that pays more than unemployment. Still waiting on the physical and drug test to come back then I sign the paperwork and get my start date. Since I've never taken anything illicit I'm not concerned. I'm progressing on the tank again because my wife finally got tired of seeing it and $30 for a piece of 3/8" glass and silicone is less expensive then an entire new front piece of glass or a new tank. Though the fiji cube 81 is a drop in replacement for my tank $900 is too much right now.

Last edited:

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 153 75.4%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 30 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back