Cutting skimmer cup to reduce height

Nikolausreef

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 7, 2026
Messages
11
Reaction score
2
Location
United States
What state or country do you live in
Connecticut
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm setting up an in wall tank and my reef octopus just barely doesn't fit height wise into the sump area. Is there any reason I can't just cut the skimmer cup top an inch and a half as long as I keep the difference between the inner and outer acrylic the same?

I just want to make sure I not missing something before I do it.
 
I would think you skimmate would not be the same companies put alot of R&D into making the height of the cup the width of the neck and size of the pump etc. just right. There’s a chance it could work but I would not do it on a skimmer your using right now find something on here or CL maybe facebook marketplace and get a cheap an used bubble magus or something so if you ruin it then atleast it’s not he one you own and use .
 
Yeah I figured it was worth a try before purchasing another one but your probably right. Your hesitation made me relook at the stand and I was able to cut away some of the sump ceiling area and move a 2*4 out of the way and it just fits now. Thanks
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 3 30.0%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new