Cutting stony corals and plugs without power tools?

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I’ve only fragged corals a couple of times and when I did I just used a chisel or pliers to break them apart/break the rock apart. This has worked fine, however, I have a few encrusting corals that have completely taken over the plugs they are on and I’d like to cut the plug into fourths and make 4 new plugs. . . Can this be done without a band or jigsaw?

Jeffcb

Tang tang
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 head torch that is now a dozen plus. I do have bone cutters but a Dremel tool sounds like a good Idea. Should be a nice clean cut. Put that on the list....

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 2 head torch that is now a dozen plus. I do have bone cutters but a Dremel tool sounds like a good Idea. Should be a nice clean cut. Put that on the list....
I have found that the Dremel is much cleaner and you are less likely to snap or crack other parts of the skeleton like you may do with a bone cutter. It’s also much less jarring than a bone cutter.

OP
OP
MoshJosh

MoshJosh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for all the replies! But I was thinking more along the lines of handtools, though I will look into getting a Dremel. With something like a very small hacksaw or jeweler saw work?

LeftyReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a dremel tool with a flex shaft attachment with diamond cutting blades.
Be sure to use eye protection as bits of coral skeleton will go flying as you cut.

Dburr1014

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve only fragged corals a couple of times and when I did I just used a chisel or pliers to break them apart/break the rock apart. This has worked fine, however, I have a few encrusting corals that have completely taken over the plugs they are on and I’d like to cut the plug into fourths and make 4 new plugs. . . Can this be done without a band or jigsaw?
Bone cutters

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are looking for an inexpensive handtool to cut the corals apart a pair of Dykes (not the Biker Babes - the wire cutters) from the hardward store will cut thru frag plugs and some pretty tough coral structures. The smaller the dykes the more manueverable and control you have. The bigger the pair the more leverage and the bigger coral/stone/skeleton you can cut thru.

Dave B

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 3 4.2%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 42 58.3%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 20 27.8%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 6.9%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.8%
Back