Cutting trim on rimmed tank

ReefCAKE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi All,
I am in the process of building a standard 75g tank. I purchased an external overflow and thought that it accounted for the trim on standard tanks, well it doesn't. I've been looking for a new bulkhead gasket that could space the rear box out enough to clear the trim, but have not found anything as of yet. Looking to get some opinions on cutting the trim on just the back glass portion of the plastic. I would be looking at taking out a 1/2" x 6' piece from just the outside portion of the trim (not touching the top or inside). I'm a little unsure of this and wanted some opinions.

Thomaskraus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To be honesty plastic trim does not do anything for support for the tank so you could do it if you want to, anyone please correct me if I am wrong though

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not mess with the trim. I'm guessing you meant 6" not 6'?

Opus

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've cut the trim on my 75 gal tank so my skimmer would fit. This was probably 5 or 6 years ago. I don't know why a lot of the stuff they make to fit on top of the tank assumes there is no trim. I'm going to be trimming more here in the next few weeks. Bought a Reefbreeders light and the legs to set it on the tank will not fit over the trim. Just got a special cutting wheel for the dremel that says it is for plastic, going to see how well it works.

Devaji

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen 40BR that ppl have made in to rimless - they did add a center brace tho.

not sure on the 75. It more pressure on the glass for sure.
have you contacted the maker of the overflow box and ask what there fix is? I am sure you are not the 1st to have this problem.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 29.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.2%
Back