Do GSP chemically talk to each other?

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This weekend I trimmed my main GSP as I do about every two months or so. Of course, when I remove him from the tank to trim, he closes up sometimes for a day or more, and this time I noticed something odd.

I have some more GSP growing on the back wall. Didn't touch these frags this weekend, but shortly after I replaced the trimmed GSP, the GSP on the back wall closed up tight for an entire day. I'm wondering if the back wall GSP became aware of the injury to the trimmed GSP and closed up in defense. Perhaps a chemical released by the trimmed GSP put the others on defense. Everyone is now back and happy.

Am I off base here?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals in the tank probably heard the screams of the other colony and retreated to avoid getting trimmed?

Could be correct. Otherwise, the chemicals released represent warefare and got dumped by the injured colony and who knows? Chemical cues are real, as is toxic chemical warfare. Do you run carbon or Polyfilters on your tank?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I cut softies, especially leathers I always change GAC right before or right after doing so, otherwise many different corals would react to it, not only leathers.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones supposedly release a chemical to warn other anemones in case of danger. I believe it is being studied if corals can also communicate similarly. It wouldn’t surprise me, it’s been proven that trees can communicate. It’s a weird world that we mostly don’t know.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones supposedly release a chemical to warn other anemones in case of danger. I believe it is being studied if corals can also communicate similarly. It wouldn’t surprise me, it’s been proven that trees can communicate. It’s a weird world that we mostly don’t know.
I actually suspect that the world is beautiful and we are the ignorant, out of touch species that might qualify as "weird" if the universe took a poll? All of us, out of touch and badly damaged, imo. But it is cool that we are starting to figure some of these things out! We may make sense of it one day soon. :cool:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually suspect that the world is beautiful and we are the ignorant, out of touch species that might qualify as "weird" if the universe took a poll? All of us, out of touch and badly damaged, imo. But it is cool that we are starting to figure some of these things out! We may make sense of it one day soon. :cool:
This. Or they are in fact discriminately attacking whatever is around them when something bothers them, which makes them equally ignorant to the environment around them, just like us?

That’s enough palys for today.. I’m feeling dizzy o_O

Katrina71

Learn, Laugh, Love
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have wondered something similar. My son usually does his own tank maintenance. He has a very large frogspawn that has never stung him. Anyone else touches it... significant sting. I have wondered if they detect another person's chemistry as a threat.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The corals in the tank probably heard the screams of the other colony and retreated to avoid getting trimmed?

Could be correct. Otherwise, the chemicals released represent warefare and got dumped by the injured colony and who knows? Chemical cues are real, as is toxic chemical warfare. Do you run carbon or Polyfilters on your tank?
Yes I run Rox.08 carbon 24/7
brs rox 0.8 carbon.jpg

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I run Rox.08 carbon 24/7
brs rox 0.8 carbon.jpg
That confirms the scream theory, then. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

As I said before, there is lots of biofeedback from chemicals that move around on a reef. You should repeat the experiment (cut again) after everyone is healed and open and see if you get the same reaction.

OP
OP
H

HawkeyeDJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That confirms the scream theory, then. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

As I said before, there is lots of biofeedback from chemicals that move around on a reef. You should repeat the experiment (cut again) after everyone is healed and open and see if you get the same reaction.
I will be on the lookout for it next time, 2-3 months. Interesting thing is that only the GPS seemed to react. Everyone else was oblivious.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will be on the lookout for it next time, 2-3 months. Interesting thing is that only the GPS seemed to react. Everyone else was oblivious.
Well, If a crab or a fish was eatting my neighbor (GSP) a chemical signal that alerted the neighborhood would be a good thing for everyone except the home that the crab was munching upon. Take pictures just before and after, it will be interesting if the behavior repeats!

ukgeoff

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed something very similar with my Green Star Polyps as well. My main bunch has really taken off and started to outgrow the bottom of my tank, so I decided to get creative and attach some pieces to the back glass. The next time I pruned my GSP and attached the trimmings to the back, all my GSP seemed to have a little sulk and retracted for a couple of days, even though the colonies are quite a bit apart. It's as if they have their own secret way of chatting with each other. It's truly one of the mysteries of the deep lol :)
1709562409085.jpeg

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Agree - it's the chemicals! - However I think it might be that the chemicals alert to an attack - thus the neighbors close - as compared to a toxic chemical

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back