Saran Wrap to kill GSP?

Allenh427

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

I have rampant GSP and it's taking over rocks like no other. It's on a rock right now that I really don't want it on because it might spread up to a shelf rock that has a bunch of coral on it. I particularly don't want to replace the rock because it's right by my goby / pistol shrimp burrow. I'm considering wrapping saran wrap around the rock to kill the GSP. What do you think?

Two learnings from this GSP outbreak:
When people say to put GSP on an island, make sure that island isn't even close to other rocks because it'll reach out pretty far - at least a few inches.
GSP vs Zoas, GSP easily wins.

Last edited:

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the answer but I’m following along because I have a similar problem.
I have considered making a sheet of the two part coral putty to cover mine until it dies.

Manpeckz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive been debating smothering mine that is starting to come back with some reef cement before it even starts to grow again. Two part sounds like a decent plan, then you could carve it back off if you really want to.

Best of luck

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

I have rampant GSP and it's taking over rocks like no other. It's on a rock right now that I really don't want it on because it might spread up to a shelf rock that has a bunch of coral on it. I particularly don't want to replace the rock because it's right by my goby / pistol shrimp burrow. I'm consider wrapping saran wrap around the rock to kill the GSP. What do you think?

When people say to put GSP on an island, make sure that island isn't even close to other rocks because it'll reach out pretty at least a few inches.
When I decided to get rid of my gsp, I took the rock out of the tank and chiseled it off with a hammer and chisel. But, if your rocks are not removable in sections, then epoxy putty on the gsp might work too. Not sure about the cling wrap.

Kershaw

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t know the answer, but my suggestion is to take the rock and place it In Bucket or bin and scrape it off. Or even have some one hold a siphon near it while you scrape it in the tank.

Roatan Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I decided to get rid of my gsp, I took the rock out of the tank and chiseled it off with a hammer and chisel. But, if your rocks are not removable in sections, then epoxy putty on the gsp might work too. Not sure about the cling wrap.
Epoxy Putty and if they are clear of other corals not on a Ledge, F-Aiptasia works too.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

I have rampant GSP and it's taking over rocks like no other. It's on a rock right now that I really don't want it on because it might spread up to a shelf rock that has a bunch of coral on it. I particularly don't want to replace the rock because it's right by my goby / pistol shrimp burrow. I'm considering wrapping saran wrap around the rock to kill the GSP. What do you think?

When people say to put GSP on an island, make sure that island isn't even close to other rocks because it'll reach out pretty far - at least a few inches.
scrape off or apply coral putty. Saran will allow light to them and while submersed will likely survive.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

If you have that much access to the rock in question, I would take the rock out of the tank and use a wire brush in a bucket of tank water.

Ljara78

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello fellow Reefers,

hit the edge you dont want with a soft bristle brush. keep brushing itll die off....

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back