Cyano and flow

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_20231030_175802336.jpg

Reposting from the Algae forum since it might be more of a newbie question.
Hi all. This is my 10 gallon reef tank.

Livestock is only corals and CUC, no fish.

After going fishless (untimely brook death of two ocellaris), my nutrients bottomed and I got dinos. I "beat" them by doing a 5 day blackout, after which I started sprinkling crushed marine flakes everyday to try to keep my nutrients up.

I know that you don't really beat dinos permanently, so I kept adding food to prevent them from coming back. All my corals seemed to appreciate the broadcast feed, and all showed signs of growing.

My current problem is cyano. It started showing up in the sand bed, not too bad but noticeable enough that I feel it can become a problem.

I have tried spot treating peroxide on the sand bed; that fixed a spot for a couple of days but doesn't really fixes the problem.

After that, I have tried altering my flow, but all that did was annoy the digitata on top.

My flow consists of a jebao ow-10 (left), set at speed 2 and mode w2 (wave). I also have an aquaclear 50 (right) set at max output.

What would you suggest for the jebao placement and setting? I know that high nutrients are contributing to the cyano but as far as I understand cyano is a nuisance, as opposed to the active danger of dinos. I'm afraid of getting dinos again.

Are cyanos something that I can fix with proper flow? This is my first tank, and I hadn't moved the powerhead since set up until I got the cyano.

Thanks.

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow might possibly help. The way you have your power head set, I imagine there is very little flow down by the sand bed.

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
More flow might possibly help. The way you have your power head set, I imagine there is very little flow down by the sand bed.

What are your nitrate and phosphate levels?
I have the API tests, which I know are not the most acurate. Nitrate I'd say 5 if I keep up with the daily feeding, phosphate is a shade over 0 but not quite .25, maybe .1

Where would you point the powerhead to maximize flow together with the HOB outlet?

OP
OP
M

mavv

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly can't see anything in the picture. If you mean along the glass under the sand, that's pretty standard.
IMG_20231031_070004159_HDR.jpg
IMG_20231031_070019883.jpg

These are from this morning. It's not gotten to a full-blown problem yet but I see new strands every day (I'm manually removing and stirring sand every day).

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back