Cyano and....?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano in the tank, but brown. I guess the hairy stuff confirms that it's cyano.
But there are also tons and tons of the green spheres. Anyone know what they are?

20230114_163320.jpg
20230114_163258.jpg

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes in many colors....it can be brown, red, green etc.........treat it and see what's left. May I recommend my product Red Cyano Rx? Blue Life USA. Thanks and good luck!

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I take issue with forum shilling without work threads

what do you do when that recommend doesn't work Eric, do you tell folks that or show them the threads where it didn't work, after the sale?

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cyano comes in many colors....it can be brown, red, green etc.........treat it and see what's left. May I recommend my product Red Cyano Rx? Blue Life USA. Thanks and good luck!
Thanks. I've got some Chemiclean already, so I'm going to give it a try.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

erythromycin. I would not use it

Eric, if it's not erythromycin please respond there above and work it out in the chem forum.

I'm subbed to your posts now, any time you try and sell this without 5-10 work threads you guided, you yourself saw through to a fix with no losses, expect to be accountable

this is fair internet nerdery. If anyone called me to task over rip cleans, i would provide 5 hundred work thread examples we guided to the end, without loss.

Its not fair to your consumers to link lucky outcome threads as your proof, has to be ones you guided live time.

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find out how to sub to Eric to remind him for the next three years I'd like to see a relevant set of work threads, dated recently, that he guided using this for-sale option when he posts it

I'm seeing a LOT of no work thread posts here, this isn't against any forum standards its against street cred standards from people who fix reef tanks free of charge. market balancers. everything is trending for cost nowadays, and cyano + dino battles don't have to be.

I myself would recommend a free option to beat them (rip cleans) and we'd like to challenge him with a fair set of work thread outcomes. free vs for cost race to the most wins.

anything I'm snarkily demanding I'd happily link anytime requested, there would be no dodging that's for sure. Nobody would have to ask twice to see a massive work thread of free options beating these invasions.

there must not be a way to sub to all posts by him for fact checking, Ill just watch them manually and link this thread to them each time until I get to see some actual recent work not from a sales ad, but from a forum thread with all variables in place that people present.

not from 2015, a recent one with a job undertaken and seen through to the finish by Eric that he posted in like this one.

If you drive up sales around here without sticking around Eric to see the finish, and be accountable for losses, and noncompliant outcomes, and tradeoff invasions from killing targets on top of wasted tanks only to store up more dead cells and see what happens in a few months later from this compounding, thats not as respectable as doing the opposite.

You are popping into random help threads and blanket recommending a for sale product asking no details about the tank. If you apply erythromycin to a eutrophic reef, you kill some of them by delayed export and chemically souping the tank- I know this from running work threads where we use actual tank specifics to design fixes.

the sale is coming in much quicker than the assessment, that smells not ok to me as a results guy.

Last edited:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Im seeing high amount of cyano .
I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm trying to find out how to sub to Eric to remind him for the next three years I'd like to see a relevant set of work threads, dated recently, that he guided using this for-sale option when he posts it

I'm seeing a LOT of no work thread posts here, this isn't against any forum standards its against street cred standards from people who fix reef tanks free of charge. market balancers. everything is trending for cost nowadays, and cyano + dino battles don't have to be.

I myself would recommend a free option to beat them (rip cleans) and we'd like to challenge him with a fair set of work thread outcomes. free vs for cost race to the most wins.
Very familiar with rip cleans, as you know! I'm actually about to get my hands wet. It's in my version of a frag tank - various small river rocks with frags on them. It should take about 10 min.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im seeing high amount of cyano .
I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development
Thanks for the detailed reply! I think low flow is a lot of it. I put an old hang on filter from a freshwater tank on it and it has flow issues as a result. I guess I need to spend a little money :confused:

brandon429

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

clearly there are wins in the mix (that's someone else's work thread)

nobody thinks the product is useless, there are positive statements there and that's only one cursory search with a very loose set of evaluations

a benefit of assessing the tank at hand Eric, and staying until the end (John's issue isn't easy to fix, this would be a fine challenge for you) is we get to see you anticipate the skimmer thing, the corals being guided through without loss and most importantly: a sustained target kill with NO tradeoff invasions. If you cure cyano but give them dinos or GHA three months later by stratifying dead cells ontop of already dead cells, that doesn't count as a win

a work thread you guide accounts for all of that.

in the link above I see some coral stresses, some lack of closure on applications, that's why I want Eric himself to stay and guide one or five of these posts to absolute closure and sustenance.

I found zero posts where Eric is guiding the fixes himself, it's all res publica.

Eric, time to directly umpire your game sir/not from the stands/

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lemme see how long it takes to find examples one sec
I get it. I’m pretty confident that it would work and yes looking for reviews is due diligence. I believe my product has better results than Chemiclean but that could work too. I’m really just trying to help but I understand the conflict. All good.

Eric Cohen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

clearly there are wins in the mix (that's someone else's work thread)

nobody thinks the product is useless, there are positive statements there and that's only one cursory search with a very loose set of evaluations

a benefit of assessing the tank at hand Eric, and staying until the end (John's issue isn't easy to fix, this would be a fine challenge for you) is we get to see you anticipate the skimmer thing, the corals being guided through without loss and most importantly: a sustained target kill with NO tradeoff invasions. If you cure cyano but give them dinos or GHA three months later by stratifying dead cells ontop of already dead cells, that doesn't count as a win

a work thread you guide accounts for all of that.

in the link above I see some coral stresses, some lack of closure on applications, that's why I want Eric himself to stay and guide one or five of these posts to absolute closure and sustenance.

I found zero posts where Eric is guiding the fixes himself, it's all res publica.

Eric, time to directly umpire your game sir/not from the stands/
Fair enough. Let me just say that I’ve been selling this product for over 15 years at least. I handle all customer service issues and inquiries so I believe I have a very good understanding of the product and the differences between mine and other brands.
If you have ever sent an inquiry or question to Blue Life USA you would know I am dedicated to customer service and honesty. Been doing this over 30 years and haven’t bull ****ted my way through anything.

I’m happy to reply to any questions people have about the product and I’m clearly following this thread.

cheers!

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like cyano in the tank, but brown. I guess the hairy stuff confirms that it's cyano.
But there are also tons and tons of the green spheres. Anyone know what they are?

the brown strands are indeed cyano - if you look closely, you'll see tight coils indicating spirulina specifically.

The green spheres are one of the fun "no idea" in the hobby. could be a type of cyanobacteria or a green algae, or a weird none-of-the-above.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the brown strands are indeed cyano - if you look closely, you'll see tight coils indicating spirulina specifically.

The green spheres are one of the fun "no idea" in the hobby. could be a type of cyanobacteria or a green algae, or a weird none-of-the-above.
-
I actually got a better photo showing the coils

1673818844465.png

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back