Cyano battle plan help please

AnnaCassandra

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Cyano in my current tank for 3 YEARS. Our previous tank was a 30gal no sump and we had it running for a number of years before upgrading to a 90gal tank. The previous tank had cyano at one point but eventually it just died out on its own- before that I had tried to do large water changes to eliminate it but it actually just bloomed worse so I just kept up with smaller once every week or other week water changes and it faded away without other intervention. 90 gal tank was good until we moved cities 4 hours away and after setting it up the new house the cyano started with a vengeance. I've tried frequent small water changes, large water changes, lights turned off for days, lights low for a long time, I've done multiple rounds of chemiclean but it keeps coming back. I used to use filter socks but I noticed every time I put in new filter socks the cyano would bloom, so I stopped using those. I just have been running a skimmer and a bag of carbon and phosguard in
I've had enough and I don't know what to do. Nitrate and phosphate levels were undetectable in the beginning but are now ~12ppm and 0.08ppm respectively. I neglected my tank for a long time because of the ugliness and I turned the lights down low thought if I just let it be for a while it would sort itself out - so my calc and alkalinity levels are quite low (~300ppm and ~7.5dKH) and I've been doing water changes to bring them back up but it's just making the cyano so much worse so I've shut off the lights for now while I get the tank parameters back in line. I can't do really high percentage water changes because the largest container I have is 15gal. So I've been doing 15g water changes as frequently as I can which equates to every 2-3 days.

I need a plan that's going to work. I've just bought a neptune APEX EL, and I've replaced all of the filter components in my RO/DI. I have the temp set to 78 and the PH has been about 7.9-8.1, it's been closer to 7.9 with the lights out. I added a 8x8x1" block of marinepure to my sump and a bag of chemipure blue.

Here are some of the things I'm considering doing-

I have 3 x hydor powerheads (i think 2 are 1500gph and one is 850) in there currently but it doesn't seem like a ton of flow so I'm thinking about getting a maxspect gyre to put on one side and get a second one down the road (suggestions on 330 vs 350?) I already have maxspect ethereal lights so I can use the same controller for the gyre so the cost is lower vs other powerhead options like MP40. I wonder if more flow would give the cyano less chance to take hold?

I'm thinking of getting either brightwell microbacter7 or zeovit cyano clean to dose some competing bacteria while the lights are low? thoughts on one vs the other or both?

Any other ideas? I have chemiclean and it worked to clear out the cyano before but it only took a week or two for it to come back so i really don't want to dose another round of that if I don't have to.

bob salzlein

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been battling Cyano in my current tank for 3 YEARS. Our previous tank was a 30gal no sump and we had it running for a number of years before upgrading to a 90gal tank. The previous tank had cyano at one point but eventually it just died out on its own- before that I had tried to do large water changes to eliminate it but it actually just bloomed worse so I just kept up with smaller once every week or other week water changes and it faded away without other intervention. 90 gal tank was good until we moved cities 4 hours away and after setting it up the new house the cyano started with a vengeance. I've tried frequent small water changes, large water changes, lights turned off for days, lights low for a long time, I've done multiple rounds of chemiclean but it keeps coming back. I used to use filter socks but I noticed every time I put in new filter socks the cyano would bloom, so I stopped using those. I just have been running a skimmer and a bag of carbon and phosguard in
I've had enough and I don't know what to do. Nitrate and phosphate levels were undetectable in the beginning but are now ~12ppm and 0.08ppm respectively. I neglected my tank for a long time because of the ugliness and I turned the lights down low thought if I just let it be for a while it would sort itself out - so my calc and alkalinity levels are quite low (~300ppm and ~7.5dKH) and I've been doing water changes to bring them back up but it's just making the cyano so much worse so I've shut off the lights for now while I get the tank parameters back in line. I can't do really high percentage water changes because the largest container I have is 15gal. So I've been doing 15g water changes as frequently as I can which equates to every 2-3 days.

I need a plan that's going to work. I've just bought a neptune APEX EL, and I've replaced all of the filter components in my RO/DI. I have the temp set to 78 and the PH has been about 7.9-8.1, it's been closer to 7.9 with the lights out. I added a 8x8x1" block of marinepure to my sump and a bag of chemipure blue.

Here are some of the things I'm considering doing-

I have 3 x hydor powerheads (i think 2 are 1500gph and one is 850) in there currently but it doesn't seem like a ton of flow so I'm thinking about getting a maxspect gyre to put on one side and get a second one down the road (suggestions on 330 vs 350?) I already have maxspect ethereal lights so I can use the same controller for the gyre so the cost is lower vs other powerhead options like MP40. I wonder if more flow would give the cyano less chance to take hold?

I'm thinking of getting either brightwell microbacter7 or zeovit cyano clean to dose some competing bacteria while the lights are low? thoughts on one vs the other or both?

Any other ideas? I have chemiclean and it worked to clear out the cyano before but it only took a week or two for it to come back so i really don't want to dose another round of that if I don't have to.
Save your money on more equipment and try Dr. Tim's Recipe.

Attachments

• 1_DrTims_Cyano_Recipe_Mar19.pdf
    304.8 KB · Views: 254

Webslinger

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red X appears to just be water salt and salicylic acid, I wonder what the concentration of salicylic acid is. It's $42/250ml or $70/500ml which just seems obscene to me for salicylic acid.

your have to pay for the pretty bottle. You have a saltwater tank, nothing is cheap

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 58 42.3%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 67 48.9%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 12 8.8%
Back